NIB Custody Accounts for share dealing

zag

Does anyone have any comments on the usability of the NIB online banking facility for share dealing ? I was talking to someone in NIB the other day and after they lowered my guard they went into sales mode and started pushing their custody account (which I seem to have opened some time back as part of a loan) as an easy means to buy and sell shares. As you might expect from a sale person . . . their account is soooooo much better than the opposition, it can do things BOI & AIB can't, etc . . .

I looked at their charges and they seem reasonable enough - I think it was €50 per transaction and 1.25% plus stamp duty.

I've been threatening to start investing (yes, it's long term . . . yes, I know about the impact of transaction costs on holding for a short period) one of these days but have never got around to it.

Since I already have this account set up I figure it might be as good a time as any to start using it for share buying.

z

I'm a small novice investor with a NIB Custody A/c. For me anyway I think It's greath,very easy to use no problems. I think the fees you quote are for phone transactions, online it's .75% up to €15,000 ( Min €20) + duty,no annual charge if you have free banking. Hard to beat.

Been using the NIB facility for some time now. Once you have internet banking it's pretty easy to use. Haven't used others so can't compare.

One downside I can see is it doesn't offer real time quotes. To ISEQ they are delayed by some time (15 / 20 minutes maybe). For the UK prices seem to be from the pervious day. Research facilities are minimal as well.

For purchases on the ISEQ the minimum charge is 20€ plus stamp duty. They also have a yearly maintenance fee but it's waived depending on the type of current account you have.

I'm not sure about charges on other eurozone exchanges. I have bought shares in the UK and the exchange rate was not very favourable. It was a lesson for me and if buying on foreign exchanges I would ask their helpdesk of the charges in future before committing.

I'm not sure if you will be able to purchase ETFs that are traded in Europe. I can see prices but it's not possible to buy them via the internet. It may be possible via their phone facility.

Overall I recommend it.

Back