new york hotel

viztopia

i am going to new york for 10 days in October and i am looking to book a hotel. they seem a bit pricey - from €2,500 upwards. does this seem right or has anyone any recommendations?

We have stayed in the New York Hemsley (be careful, lots of different Hemsleys around) and found it great, for both location and facilities.

stayed in red roof inn manhattan. Breakfast included. Just around the corner from Macys and Empire State.

Fitzpatricks Grand Central have an excellent offer on at the moment which includes €200 each discount off your Aer Lingus flights to New York.

From [broken link removed]

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, in New York, has teamed up with Aer Lingus for a shopping trip. The rate of $998 (about €720) includes four nights’ accommodation for two, cocktails on arrival, shopping discount coupons and €200 credit each towards your flights to New York.

We stayed in the Buckingham - almost opposite Carnegie Hall - great location & large room

stay away from Fitzpatricks grand central over priced for very average hotel, nothing irish about it but the pricing, I found the staff extremly rude, food below average and rooms quite dated. lots of better deals to be had for the same money

I stayed at the Hemsley 4 years ago for 6 nights never again, £250 per person a night and no breakfasts which were 20 dollars each,we went to a Subway a few doors away and got a great breakfast for 6 Dollars each

Stayed in the Millenium Hotel on Broadway at the end of May. Really liked it and would stay there again
[broken link removed]

I usually stay in the Edison but was dearer than the Millenium this time. Both are good and well located altho the Millenium was a stones throw from Broadway and Macy's!

I stayed at the Hemsley 4 years ago for 6 nights never again, £250 per person a night and no breakfasts which were 20 dollars each,we went to a Subway a few doors away and got a great breakfast for 6 Dollars each

apart from the cost of the room (which you knew about beforehand) and the fact that breakfast wasn't included (which you knew about beforehand) what was wrong with the helmsley?

I booked the NY Helmsley through 1800hotels.ie for 5 nights last March. Grand hotel with a fabulous location right beside Grand Central and the Chrysler Building. The hotel is fine.. I was in a group with 2 other girls on a culture/shopping trip. Room had 2 big double beds and it cost 300euro each for the stay. Had breakfast one morning in hotel and it was a huge buffet and worth the 20dollars.. rest of mornings we just got coffee in cafe next door.

I agree with emmt stayed in the milenium last year great location. I booked it on priceline and got a good deal, make sure to ask for a room on a high level though as otherwise the street noise will keep you awake!

Try Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Gardens. Price includes breakfast which is very good and free tea and coffee all day. Great location as well

Food can be pricey in central Manhattan. We got a fairly nice Mexican meal in Viva Pancho at 156 W44th, just across the road from the Millenium.

If you have the time, for an authentic NYC breakfast in a lovely, authentic NYC neighbourhood, take the subway to 79th and Broadway, and walk the 2 blocks south to Big Nicks at 77th and Broadway. Wait til you see their menu!
Real cosy inside and the food is really good.

(And theres a FIlenes Bargain Basement across the road from the subway stop at 79th!!!)

Stay away from the Milford Plaza. That's all I can say about NY hotels, as it is the only one I've been to.
I just came back and it is very expensive for what it is, the staff were all really really rude, the room was terribly dirty, smelt like feet, the a/c machine was at least from the 80s and broken, and then the bathtub's drain was clogged and was for the whole week, no matter how many times we asked them to please please unclog it... TERRIBLE!!!!

It's about 100 mts away from times sq though, but not worth it at all :/

apart from the cost of the room (which you knew about beforehand) and the fact that breakfast wasn't included (which you knew about beforehand) what was wrong with the helmsley?

There was nothing wrong with the hotel itself,just that i was probably ripped off when i booked,though the breakfast was woeful

We stayed here last week

[broken link removed]

it was a one bedroomed apartment with a separate kitchen. They have various types of rooms. Lot's of space, very quiet and clean. 15 minutes walk from Central Park. Couldn't fault it. When looking round I found hotels generally on the pricey side, particularly when adding in the local taxes. We paid $2500 for 7 nights,( roughly €1800) around $350 of that was tax.

Back