New window - any recommendations?

Muffinb

Morning everyone,
My elderly parents are replacing the windows in standard 3 bed semi built in 1968, Looking to do 3 windows at the front, converted garage window thats a bay window, Landing window over the garage, Front sliding porch door, Hall door and side lights. Back door and 4 windows at the back. I know it sounds like a lot but they have been quoted €30,000 recently by big window form. I think that sounds outragous!! Salesman was there in house for 4 hours till 10pm and said they would get 10% off if they dicided that night, sound fishy to me!!!

Anyone had some done recently and could give recommendation for company/ ideas of prices?? Anyone else think this is too much??

Regards
Muffin

Re: New windows?? any recommendations??

What part of the country are you in?
€30’000 seems high. Did that price include installation, plastering and painting or just the windows?

Hi there,
We have used templogue windows - am very happy with the results. The cost - including a french door in the back and front was €7500, the work was of very high quality (templeogue windows had a better guarentee and the wondows them selves a lower U value than the 2 other companies I got quotes from....) and the place was tidied when I got home from work..

The company do not have sales men , Liam is one of two men who own the company and he does know what he is talking about...

I have absolutly no links at all with the comapny other than being a satisfied customer ...
P

I cannot imagine any reputable company applying pressure selling tactics like this (must sign up imediately to get discount etc.), especially to an elderly couple. It's outragous: I wouldn't use them regardless of whether they were good value or not.

If it is a reputable company, I'd imagine they'd be interested to know how their sales people are operating - maybe you should let them know?

It sounds very high by the way, though it's difficult to judge without knowing the exact number of windows and dimensions.

Thanks Purple, In Dublin on the northside, not an exclusive area or anything and standard 1960'2 3 bed semi!! Presume it included plastering etc. as it was with one of the Big boys in the game. At €30000 now I now whay they are the big boys!!)
Will ring templeogue windows and ask them to quote, thanks for the recom. Pinky bear!!
What really annoyed me was the 10% dscount if my parents decided that night, I think its like listening to a story from "Rouge Traders" on the telly.

I cant see how it takes that long to quote either.

Regards,
Muffin

Yeah big reputable company who actually used cold calling techniques on the phone and my Dad just said yeah come out and quote. He would nearly have paid too as he's very trusting person.

They need the following windows :
5 of these are living/kitchen room sized windows,
1 box room
1 tiny toilet one,
1 bathroom one
1 short landing window,
1 x garage is converted with slightly funny bow shaped widow but nothing too complicated
1 back door
one internal hall door with sidelights.
1 sliding porch door

They just want basic double glazed white uPVC with one opening on one side and a fly above that, plain glass no lead etc. so can't see the expense in that, can you??
any more advice would be great, what do you look for when asking for quotes anyway except the shape, design>.. I presume they all include plastering and tidying up after them anyway, no??

I'm no expert on the subject, the only experience I have is in replacing some windows recently.

I'd say that more than EUR4k/window is a tad on the expensive side, though! Our own double-glazed, wooden sash windows were less than EUR1.5k/window fitted, including all new architraving, painting etc. Some were quite large, others awkward sizes.

Things I'd do:

- Confirm that the price is for new windows fitted, old windows disposed of, everything tidied up (plastering etc.). If the company is supply-only, get them to recommend a fitter who'll do all of the above.

- Get about three quotes for the type of windows you're interested in. This will establish the going rate. I wouldn't expect them all to visit, but they should give at least an estimate based on supplied dimensions, even if they won't quote.

- Most importantly, get anyone you're thinking of using to supply names and addesses of recent customers. Anyone reputable won't have the slightest problem with doing this, so if they can't/won't, walk away.

Better still, do what you're doing and ask for personal recomondations. We spoke to a couple of neighbours who'd had them done recently. That way you get both to see the windows installed and talk with someone independent living with them, and who dealt with the installers.

I'd be fairly angry if I were you, on three counts:

- cold calling sales
- long time spent on sales visit (it'll take a few minutes at most to measure up and explain features/benefits): a long time spent is a classic pressure sales technique used to make the customer (more correctly "victim") feel obligated to the sales person
- sign now or else ("otherwise no discount"/"they're the last ones left"/whatever): again, another classic pressure sales technique as it gives you no chance to think it through or price alternatives.

That should obviously have been about EUR3k/window, before someone else corrects me....

Hi MuffinB - living in the North Side as well.... 1960's Semi D - as well so you are looking at a very simular quote to mine...

I must say I am so happy with the quality of the work the guys did (we had ours done last week).....

Hi Muffin B

We are using Wrights Windows - They are installing tomorrow and so far have been great.

We have a 5 bed house and with two solid wooden doors it is costing just over €13k - also we got a good discount for ordering all the windows together (front & back)

hope this helps!

BJS,

How do they do the windows that are above ground floor ?

Do they put up a scaffold ?

Also, taking out the old windows and then putting in new ones must lead to all sorts of gaps & stuff ( inside and out ) that need making good. Is this something they do or do you need to get in someone else after them to tidy the job up ?

( what region of the country are you in ? )

Hi there,
Do they put up a scaffold ?
No, if the windows are single glaze- they can remove the seal and the windows are screwed into the wall... this is in my very lay mans terms....
sorts of gaps & stuff
These are all filled and are plastered over by the team.. New window sils also included....

Accepting that I live in England and that costing will not be the same, the price that we paid was:

Replacing wooden bay window containing 14 casement including replacing the frame, all in wood with double glazing and primed undercoated and glossed was £2000 odd ( sterling). We then went on to have the rest of the wooden casements in the house another 54 replaced in wood with double glazing as before for a cost of £5400 i.e. average £100 per casement.

I would suggest that the salesman is a real rip-off merchant.

All of the casement frame and glazing were made to measure and the price includedall making good and making and fitting a window seat in the bay.

Hi Olddog

Just starting to put them in today so Im not sure -

I am presuming they will make it all nice when they are finished - I know they supply and re fit wondow boards etc to finish it off

I will let you know when its finished!

Just seen this post and your parents' quote sounds well OTT. We're currently having 13 PVC windows (6 of them large), 3 patio doors, two external doors and huge gable end 2 storey window installed. We had 2 similar quotes around €11,000 - one was from Senator, but we went with a local Wexford firm, Capital Windows, on the builders' recommendation and are very happy so far.

Hi Olddog

Just starting to put them in today so Im not sure -

I am presuming they will make it all nice when they are finished - I know they supply and re fit wondow boards etc to finish it off

I will let you know when its finished!

Thanks, I'd me very interested to know

Perfect weather for the job

We also used Wright windows recently - got black PVC - very happy with results. We got door and 9 windows on a standard 3 bed semi replaced for 6,400. very neat job, plastering etc, just had tiny amount of paint touch-up to do afterwards.
Some 'reputable' companies were almost twice that with the hard sell. No affiliation - just satisified customer.

Maybe this is a bit of thread creap......

In picking your new windows have any of you considered the pros and cons of inward opening ( european style ) Vs outward opening ( Ireland & UK style ) ?

If there is nothing in the way of inward opening I think it might be better ( if only because they are easier/safer to clean )

Any views ?

If there is nothing in the way of inward opening I think it might be better ( if only because they are easier/safer to clean )

Any views ?

I don't agree that it is better to have inward opening because of the curtain or blinds restriction problem.

Many of the window companies have windows that can be moved left to right for ease of cleaning.

Hi Muffin,

Seems like a high quote alright.

It might be a good idea for you to use the search option in this forum for previous threads on windows. You could also run same for the name of the company that issued the quote. We have had some previous threads about the hard sell angle.

Some of the previous companies recommended on AAM were [broken link removed], http://www.bonnerwindows.com/ (Bonner Windows) and others.

Don't forget also the SSIA money will/has kicked in so prices might be on the rise and companies may be very busy.