New Water cylinder for hotpress ,do i need thermostat

dodo

I am thinking of getting new bigger water cylinder that is pre insulated to replace the one that is 27 yrs old. I have Electric shower in main bathroom that my kids use but they will use unsuite if GAS heating was on and cylinder hot.Pump shower in unsuite that I use all the time, In summer I put immersion on for 30 mins if heating not on has timer linked to phone. Should I get thermostat for the cylinder? Plumber said cylinder he getting does not have thermostat.
I have solar panels.

With no thermostat on the tank your boiler will heat the tank up to whatever temperature it is sending to your rads, which could be 70-80 degrees. The two issues with that are it could scald somebody if it came out of a tap/shower and it’s also unnecessary/inefficient to heat the tank to that temperature, 50-60 is more than enough.

The immersion will have its own thermostat, but you need a way to stop the boiler over-heating the tank. If the tank is factory insulated with an immersion fitted there might be connectors on that to cut-out the boiler too. Plumber will know once you tell them you want it though.

Is your heating system zoned so that you can only heat the water? Does your existing tank have a thermostat?

You mention solar, I presume that's solar water and so you'll be getting a dual-coil cylinder, but do you know which type? One of the steel ones or one with external insulation? Most of the steel ones should have the facility to add a pocket thermostat, and if it's one of the externally insulated ones, a small piece of the insulation can be carefully removed to install a thermostat, see the instructions for same for this example.

Back