New USA service from knock?

C

Chromeo

Saw a report on the news about a new service to the US from Knock. Nothing on the airport website - anyone know the name/website of the airline?

Prices quoted are excellent but travel dates are a little restrictive..
eg Aer Lingus Dub/Shannon to JFK in Mid June for 2 adults works out at just under €1100 all in...they quote €900 + 2% credit card chgs for Knock-JFK..

What about the compulsory Shannon stopover rule?

Has it been completely abolished or are Globespan using a loophole because the flights originate/terminate in the UK?

if you select no frills fare you pay for the meals @ 12 euro each

What about the compulsory Shannon stopover rule?

Has it been completely abolished or are Globespan using a loophole because the flights originate/terminate in the UK?

The stopover nonsense only applies to Dublin flights .... no restrictions on operating non stops from Knock, Cork etc.

Good fares but we looking to go to NY in May/June and flyglobespan are 100E dearer than aerlingus! But you'd save that on petrol and parking!!

Pity the flights won't be started in time for the Sligo GAA match in NY!

How comes the DUB-LAX flights are exempt?

Think the regulation only requires 50% of transatlantic flights to do the stopover.
DUB-LAX is EI's longest flight, it makes more sense to have the stopover on the shorter flights like DUB-BOS.

Yes that's the case ... for every non stop flight to the US operated by an airline from Dublin they must also offer one from Shannon

It doesn't have to be to the same destination - hence for example last year American Airlines did Chicago non stop from Dublin and Boston non stop from Shannon.

I think last summer anyway the LAX flights routed non stop from Dublin whereas most of the Boston flights went DUB-SNN-BOS to balance this.

My son and I are due to fly from Knock on Thursday - I rang Knock airport today and was told that they should know on Wednesday if the flight will be delayed or not!!! They've a small fleet and due to terrorism incident in Glasgow planes were not allowed to leave. The flight due to return on THursday is still sitting in JFK and the flight due to leave yesterday is still in Knock. So I think this will in effect influence all flights with Globespan.
Fingers crossed it goes okay

Due to fly to NY in September with globespan and am shocked to read all this ... did a quick Google, and apparently these lengthy delays are the norm for them.

And the tickets certainly weren't cheap, about €1200 in total (for two people), I could have gone with Continental from Shannon for much the same price, but Knock is closer.

Maybe all the satisfied customers don't post about their experiences online?

I'm not being facetious. It's not unusual for people with gripes to air them but for people who have none to keep quiet. Especially on online review sites.

Point taken. I'm aware of that, particularly on tripadvisor, but there is (what I see as) a worryingly high level of prima facie problems with a quick google — delays of more than a day, 48 hours etc.

This shocks me when compared to other airlines, where a matter of hours seems to be the norm.

I emailed them and I got a prompt response;
"This flight is scheduled to go as normal. we have had to cancel all flights up untill then, but your flight is fine. Please re-confirm your flight the day before travel and there will also be updates on our website, however, we don't envisage any delays on your flight."

Yesterdays and tomorrows flights are cancelled and passengers are offered a choice of changing dates if available or full or partial refund. So not good for some.
Will post back on return as to level of service. Chose premier class which cost in totaly return for 2 €1336ADULT PRICE 591.60 1 591.60
TAXES/FEES/CHARGES 74.00 2 148.00
CHILD PRICE 591.60 1 591.60
CARD FEE 4.80 1 4.80

Total price: € 1336.00

And a few more here - [broken link removed]

Hope you didn't pay for your ticket in cash !

Credit card ... they;ve already debited the deposit (€240 I think). They also have VERY strict cancellation rules, i.e I'd lose the deposit now, and in a couple of weeks, 80% of the ticket price.