New shed - how best to layout

Jazz01

I'm getting a new steel framed shed set up in the next few weeks (4m x 3m), I have quite a lot to go into it - besides the usual bikes (4) / lawnmower / powerwasher etc, I've a lot of tools that I've "accumulated" over the years and I'm very quickly running out of space in there. So looking for any suggestions for layout, any "lessons learned" and any tips from people who've gone through such. There is a sliding door on it, walls are 7ft high. Was thinking of getting sheet material (18mm OSB boards) and cladding the top half of the walls to mount the bikes / tools / etc.

I've power going to the shed - just need to get it set up inside there. Looking at the 4 ft LED batten lights (x2) and about 4 double sockets in there.

If you can, please share any pics / ideas / recommendations etc.

My absolute favourite shed of all time

Attachments

• B87E0E94-1D8E-485B-A910-A797B9234397.png
    B87E0E94-1D8E-485B-A910-A797B9234397.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
My tip would be to have two doors; one on the gable end and one on the side. Free standing shelving to separate the two areas.

One of the doors can be used to get out the bikes/lawnmowers etc., use the other to access your tools/paint etc.,

Though I see now you are going for one sliding door?

Put a power socket on the outside also - very handy.

If it's possible to get water/ waste pipe put in as well, I'd do it.

My shed is a monumental shrine to used hurling helmets, old hurleys, half full bags of cement (hardened), diy window boxes I'll finish off any decade now, five million assorted screws, 200 jam jars for self made jam sometime, reclining chair without fabric, chopped wood for that barbeque unused since 2009, the unused barbeque, double gas ring on top of gas cylinder still half full with the potential to cause the first nuclear explosion in Cork. Tools including hatchet, axe, crowbars, gardening utensils, painting equipment, two easels, 42 painted, landscapes , lawnmower, strimmer, power washer and sundries. Forgot to include two ladders that haven't seen the light of day for sometime.

Mrs Lep has hinted we need a skip . . .

Don't forget to leave room to access a ladder and replace it when not in use.

Reuse rather than dump. Much of that stuff would provide value to others. Put them on adverts.ie for free or small money.

Plan for the larger things that you use most often to be at the front by the door to easily bring them in and out. E.g. my power washer that gets used less than once a year is towards the back and a bit difficult to get out. But my mower and fridge freezer are at the front so have easy access.

Use vertical space. E.g. you can hang things from roof. Tall Shelving, especially deep shelving.

Mine is heavily packed. I keep a passageway clear down the middle of mine so I can access the stuff at the back. But if 3m is your depth that is maybe not an issue.

Hang tools and/or but large/tall toolbox.

Are you adding in Fridge/freezer. I put that at front also.

Put a power socket on the outside also - very handy.
Added to the list, thanks for that.

Thanks @SPC100 - it's 4 metres in depth - but agree in relation to "unused goes in the back". I'm not planning a Fridge/Freezer at this time, but might put in a socket nearer the door in case that does change.

Hang your bikes by the front wheel so that you can store stuff (e.g. lawnmower) under them.

These are the mounts I use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Holders-Storage-Mounted-Hanger/dp/B07G14M6KF/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bike+rack+wall&qid=1599217204&sr=8-6

These are the mounts I use
Thanks - I'll Look into those. I was going to hang the bikes by the frame, two up, two down, just need to gauge which uses less space, but do think those holders you use might win out.

Depending on how much hobby/diy you do in the shed, have as many sockets as possible. I have at least a double on each wall, as well as doubles attached to the middle a few joists. I don't want to be tripping over power leads if I am using power tools, especially ones with spinning blades.

Paint the floor with good concrete floor paint before anything goes in. It keeps a lot of dust down.

Put in lots of lights, again, if you intend to work there.

Put in its own Fuse box with MCBs etc. All power/sockets/lights go back to the fuse box.

Set up external lights running off a sensor.

If you are going to clad the walls, do it now before anything goes into the shed, and I'd recommend it for storing stuff vertical. Lidl/Aldi have sets of hooks/ wall mounted storage boxes etc. every now and again.

And finally take this opportunity to do a fairly ruthless clear out of all the old paint/varnish/paintbrushes. The local recycling centre will accept these.

And, speaking from experience, accept the fact that a clean shed is the sign of a sick mind :)

I have one wall on mine covered with [broken link removed] shelving supports that allows me adjust shelving as needs change. The good ones take serious weight, and you can screw ply to the brackets to make up shelves.

Putting storage cabinets on heavy duty castors will allow you make best use of space while still having easy access to seldom used items that usually end up hidden behind lots of more frequently used stuff. Castors again if you're planning on a workbench.

Mine is a little bigger than yours, and I have a socket cube hanging from the centre of the ceiling to allow me use power tools on a mobile workbench keeping the cables out of the way.

Sheds can be targets for thieves, plan for securing you more valuable tools / bikes in there. Site tool storage boxes could work for the smaller items.

I have one wall on mine covered with [broken link removed] shelving supports that allows me adjust shelving as needs change. The good ones take serious weight, and you can screw ply to the brackets to make up shelves.

If possible can you post a picture Leo, I would love to get an idea of what it looks like. I ended up building some shelves using sheets of ply and some 2"x 3" but they are not ideal. I'm trying to get everything as much stuff off the ground as possible.

I also watched this neat trick for storing ladders in the ceiling space that I plan on using.

this stuff is the business once it's put together, very strong and you can vary the shelf height to suit, including using it to make a work bench instead of a tall unit.

I have two of the above bike hangers also but I still only use them for my occasional bikes as if your bikes are at all heavy it's not that easy to get them up depending also on how tall your ceilings are. I have my two mountain bikes wall mounted but would be a bit of a pain for every-day bikes.

Labelling shelves etc is a good one and I find it helps massively against my temptation to just throw stuff into the garage door when I'm finished using it

Back