New right to request remote working

I have many telephone conversations with people from other organisations who are "working from home". The child they are minding is often screaming in the background. They end up apologising. It's unreal.
I've found my credit card company much better to deal with when they have their phone team working from home. No more straining to hear what they're saying over the constant roar of the simultaneous call centre conversations. No such issues on their own home with no noise to compete with.

I've found my credit card company much better to deal with when they have their phone team working from home. No more straining to hear what they're saying over the constant roar of the simultaneous call centre conversations. No such issues on their own home with no noise to compete with.
Wow, based on that massively specific scenario Work From Home makes total sense!

There's plenty of companies (my own employer included) who's productivity has increased since the introduction of WFH. Working on the office is a ruse for people to get away with doing nothing and relying on being seen as a substitute for results. When WFH, results are all that can be seen, and there's nowhere to hide.
And what about collaboration, teaching younger staff, and fostering a team culture.

@Gordon Gekko how did you cope when you had young kids? When they were sick, or had appointments, or you needed to be there for a match, recital or concert? When they had an on service day on a random Wednesday, I am just curious if you ever needed flexibility when you were working?

Hello,

My view is that your daughter should either take the job, get stuck in, prove she's well capable, and then ask about working from home (perhaps initially 1 day per week) in 7-8mths time, or else decline the job offer, and move on.

If its a new role for her, with notable responsibility, then it's a bit rich for her to be expecting to work from home 40% of the time, from Day 1.

@Gordon Gekko how did you cope when you had young kids? When they were sick, or had appointments, or you needed to be there for a match, recital or concert? When they had an on service day on a random Wednesday, I am just curious if you ever needed flexibility when you were working?
I'll answer for him. @Gordi I hope you don't mind.

He kept some of his annual leave days for those type of events.

I went to those things whenever possible.

They’re one-offs and what’s being spoken about here is regular scheduled stuff.

What I didn’t do was start a new role and immediately demand to work from home so I could do domestic stuff while I was supposed to be working.

Wow, based on that massively specific scenario Work From Home makes total sense!
Someone claims to have heard children in the background of a call to a business, and I point out that it's less distracting than the racket of ever louden voices competing to be heard in a call centre.

An old man yelling at a cloud is not a rebuttal to paint about an issue with the operation of call centres.

It really depends on the job. If there are tasks where progress is measured and visible and where online presence is visible then location isn’t important.
An entry level job is a different matter, unless it’s something really repetitive and or visible.

I think newcomers to an organisation usually benefit from some time with colleagues. I say usually as I don’t know what the job is here.

As for the comments about domestic stuff creeping in… unless it is more time consuming and distracting that a colleague droning on endlessly about his amazing golf score at the weekend then it’s not a big deal.

Instead of popping out to the coffee shop and waiting for the barista to make me a coffee I empty the dishwasher while the kettle boils. Not exactly a big deal.

As for background noise… a modern open plan office has maybe 100 people around you. I doubt if one child asking for a drink is going to be more of a disturbance.

With fake backgrounds and noise cancelling headphones you could be anywhere and no one need know.

But back to the original question. If she wants the job then maybe working out the commute for the probation period is worthwhile. Most domestic commitments can be figured out with a little spending and some flexibility. A short lunch and a late arrival for instance.
If the commute is too much, tighten the cv and apply for remote jobs and don’t waste time on anything with a commute.

I work from home since my youngest is 3 because I needed the flexibility, so about 11 years. But I am self employed. The reality for me was that when my kids were young, sick, had a match or a day off, my productivity was atrocious and I had to work very early in the morning or late at night when they weren't around. Thinking that you can work properly home with small kids around is a fallacy apart if you leave them in front of tv or electronic devices. I found covid difficult as they were there all day. It was often a choice between me doing my work or helping them with school work as I am sure it was for a lot of parents. So once again I tended to work when they were finished. I still find myself most productive when they are in school despite the fact they are older. That makes me highly suspicious when people speak about flexibility and children and work from home. While I understand that reducing commute is a win in itself.

Last edited:
Instead of popping out to the coffee shop and waiting for the barista to make me a coffee I empty the dishwasher while the kettle boils. Not exactly a big deal.
It's strange to see on the 1 day a week in the office, people getting their coats and heading off for coffee at all sorts of times. Compared to the WFH days where the same people are able to boil a kettle in much less time.

Sometimes coffee breaks are about collaborating. But it’s a balance.

By the way.. the original post… a senior position..and also a one year probation?

That seems like a long probation for a senior role.

And I assume it does not include supervising junior staff?

I would be raising my eyebrows a bit at that request to be in person for the first 12 months. So who is she going to be interacting with? Will the company require her line manager and her trainers to be on site with her for 12 months?

Plus there is new legislation on the probationary period “The Regulations provide that probationary periods in the private sector cannot exceed 6 months (and for public servants, cannot exceed 12 months). However, the Regulations also provide that probationary periods can on an exceptional basis be longer than 6 months provided they do not exceed 12 months and it would be in the interest of the employee to extend”

What does the company say about the probationary period and recent legalisation?
It's strange that this has devolved into claims of waters dissing while pretending to work from home, while the quite post has by far the most interesting part of the topic and is getting no discussion.

Hello,

My view is that your daughter should either take the job, get stuck in, prove she's well capable, and then ask about working from home (perhaps initially 1 day per week) in 7-8mths time, or else decline the job offer, and move on.

If its a new role for her, with notable responsibility, then it's a bit rich for her to be expecting to work from home 40% of the time, from Day 1.
I'd recommend not taking it, solely because of the 1 year of probation

All can be done on in office days or via Teams/Zoom/Skype.
No they can’t be done to the same degree. Work from home is a massive con job so the lazy and the uncommitted can pretend to work. Thankfully it’s starting to be killed-off with large companies bringing people back into the office.

There's plenty of companies (my own employer included) who's productivity has increased since the introduction of WFH. Working on the office is a ruse for people to get away with doing nothing and relying on being seen as a substitute for results. When WFH, results are all that can be seen, and there's nowhere to hide.

Completely agree. But when there is no mechanism to help low performers find other more suitable roles, they don't have to hide. People can WFH, do no work, remain uncontactable and you cant touch them. If you hold them to account, they will make up all sorts of claims and allegations of bullying etc to get the heat off themselves. Managements hand are tied to a large degree. At least in the office, doing a bit of work makes the day pass more quickly, and high performers don't feel as taken advantage off because Bob is at home watching netflix and shopping all day for the same pay

WFH seems to be a request from working mothers who need flexibility. Men as a rule don’t request it.

Why not just sort out your childcare and do your job? It’s not an employer’s job to arrange childcare, it’s a parent’s. I’m all for the flexibility to go to a sportsday or work from home if a child is sick. But not for factoring it in as normal.

Back