New requirement- for aib cheques-a special plastic bag??

Does anyone actually know what the purpose of the magic plastic bag/wallet is supposed to be, other than to add to the unnecessary plastic waste that we, as a species, insist on producing? :confused:
I wonder if it is to do with fraud prevention and tracking? No opportunity to add a zero and I assume, once the barcode on the bag is scanned, it is 'on the system' and someone is able to balance the number of cheques received and processed with at the central clearing facility?

I wonder if it is to do with fraud prevention and tracking? No opportunity to add a zero and I assume, once the barcode on the bag is scanned, it is 'on the system' and someone is able to balance the number of cheques received and processed with at the central clearing facility?
Maybe. But in that case wouldn't an envelope (brown or otherwise) do the same job? Why plastic?

Plastic bags provide more protection, especially if anything gets lost, if a courier from a post office gets robbed or hijacked (which has happened numerous times over the years with the banks) and the cheque bags get dumped. Plastic bags are also easier to check to see if everything has been removed from them and nothing left inside. Cost may also be a factor

Back