New hot water cylinder

Hi Dexter. No issues since but I would expect none as it's just 2 years since installed. Good luck with your tank.
Could you give me the name of the person who installed it for you, please? Also did you buy the tank or did the tradesperson supply it?

Could you give me the name of the person who installed it for you, please? Also did you buy the tank or did the tradesperson supply it?
Dexter. If you PM me I will share but I'm not sure you can use PM facility.

Hi, Slim,
I am in Dublin so I don’t imagine your plumber could do my job but thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Very much appreciated.
Dexter

Noted. Didn't share via PM after all.

Thanks, I know some other forums take the opposite approach and only allow recommendations via PM, but we've had a few issues over they years where users have gotten burned by people PMing them pretending to be satisfied customers of their own companies. Little more effort for us in policing it, but we see it as safer for users.

Get itemised quotes from a few plumbers and then price the parts yourself as sometimes there's an attempt to hide the labour charge by inflating the cost of the parts.

Due to skills shortages there's routine price gouging amongst the trades-I know someone who was charged €950 for fitting a replacement cylinder and electric shower - labour only..

Get itemised quotes from a few plumbers and then price the parts yourself as sometimes there's an attempt to hide the labour charge by inflating the cost of the parts.

Due to skills shortages there's routine price gouging amongst the trades-I know someone who was charged €950 for fitting a replacement cylinder and electric shower - labour only..
Thank you!

I was just given a quote today of €2,300 to replace a cylinder in a one-bedrrom apartment.

I know inflation is high, but I assume this is robbery?!?

I had a new cylinder put in place last October for just less than €900. Labour and cylinder.

Calico, here's a cylinder for 300 euro..

Not sure how long in takes to install one, but at 2,300 seem you are being asked about 2k to cover labour?

Thanks Reick...I was speechless. When I queried it he gave me a spiel about the cost of copper going through the roof and that's just how much they cost etc. etc.

Knowing nothing about these things I began to accept that I may just have to suck it up but have since done my research and should definitely be able to get it done for €1,000 or less, which is still a financial body blow, but a significantly smaller one.

I just feel sorry for people - usually the elderly and less informed - who get taken advantage of when in vulnerable situations such as this.

Just so we're sure here, is it a standard copper cylinder as in the Screwfix example above or a stainless one or even a more complex multi-coil option like this one?

It's a combi cylinder....a bit like the one linked above except the bigger part of the cylinder is on top and the smaller one on the bottom.

I got another quote this morning €1,700 + VAT.

It may not need to be replaced but it is leaking and in not sure if it can be repaired.

It may not need to be replaced but it is leaking and in not sure if it can be repaired.
If it's the tank itself, a repair will only be temporary and a bigger leak will cause more damage than the cost of a cylinder. If you're on an upper floor, you will be responsible for the costs of remedying all damage caused to the structure and contents of all apartments below you.

That's unfortunate. If you are in Dublin you could try

I have no connection. A related company saved me close to €200 in Jan (over other conpany) for a new heater to replace a storage heater (same heater in both quotes) .

There are other companies that offer similar services.

Back