New freezer not working

Omega

I bought a new Frigidaire freezer at Curry's last Saturday - it was delivered yesterday - but it's not working. I went into the shop this morning and was told to ring the service company. I did this and was told to ring someone else. They logged the call and told me it would be three working days, i.e. next Tuesday, before someone comes to look at it. Even if the service engineer then says that it's kaput, I know that it will still take another few days to get a replacement from Dublin. I really wanted it for this weekend. Can I demand that Curry's replace it right now or give me refund in view of the fact that it never worked? Thanks.

Agree with Clubman here....remember covering this years ago in Bus Org....Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1980 - goods must be of merchantable quality. Vendor is who you bought from and they have the resp for ensuring repairs/replacement are dealt with.

It's totally unacceptable that Curry's would have you ring the service company when the product didn't work in the first place. I would return to the store and ask to speak to the manager and make your complaint. Give them the option of replacing the product within your time frame or tell them you want your money back. In my opinion you should not accept a repair when the product never worked and I'd be inclined to look for a refund and purchase again elsewhere.

I got a faulty fridge from DID last week. Rang them and told them and they replaced the fridge in 3 days. Your contract is with the shop not the manufacture.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
They spurred me to ring the store and ask for the manager. After a series of phone calls throughout the day, they were still offering only to get the service engineer out to me in 3 working days (next Tuesday) and even if he agreed that it was a dud, it would still take another 3 days to get a replacement from Dublin. They did offer me a discount/credit note of e50 for my trouble but I was not happy with the prospective timescale so I finally asked for a refund - to which the manager agreed. I took the freezer back to the shop last evening and got the refund, went across the road and ordered a new freezer from Kiely's for delivery next Monday..... If there's anything wrong with this one, I'll end up in the mental..... Cheers.

Back