New Commerical vehical tax

Best solution: just to add it on to the cost of fuel.

Agreed, but political suicide to introduce - lots of people commuting from the neighbouring counties into Dublin who would not be happy (1) the extra cost they would pay to commute and (2) the likely effect on the price of their home.

Agreed, but political suicide to introduce - lots of people commuting from the neighbouring counties into Dublin who would not be happy (1) the extra cost they would pay to commute and (2) the likely effect on the price of their home.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Why would it be political suicide. Drive more = pay more. Plenty of people who live in these counties and use public transport to get to work would be delighted. Why should they subsidise those who want to drive to Dublin, which is the most accessible via public transport anyway? Who could have an issue with that?

And why would an increase in the cost of motor fuel (offset by the abolition of flat rate motor tax) affect the cost of houses in the suburbs.

Anyway, Minister Gormley himself has effectively said that it won't be enforced by using the magic term "gardaí will use their discretion"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0826/motor_tax.html

No. if the vehicle is to be used for non-commercial purposes, all you need to do is pay road tax at the appropriate rate.

My wife and I have one car between us. If, God forbid, I had to bring our child to the hospital while she was out, I'd have to get a taxi. If you're not prepared to pay road tax at the higher rate, couldn't you do that too? As for the pint of milk, I'd do without till she got back.

oh please!!!!!! so if you had a commerical you'd rather get a taxi than drive your sick child to the hospital? ha!

i agree with the rest that this is totally unenforcable, but as will all new directives when first introduced, some stupid mugs out there are gonna get caught over the next few weeks and then it'll all be forgotten about and we'll all go back to normal.

Surely the country has a lot more to worry about than stupid matters like this?

I don't understand what you are saying here. Why would it be political suicide. Drive more = pay more. Plenty of people who live in these counties and use public transport to get to work would be delighted. Why should they subsidise those who want to drive to Dublin, which is the most accessible via public transport anyway? Who could have an issue with that?

And why would an increase in the cost of motor fuel (offset by the abolition of flat rate motor tax) affect the cost of houses in the suburbs.

Anyway, Minister Gormley himself has effectively said that it won't be enforced by using the magic term "gardaí will use their discretion"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0826/motor_tax.html

I should have qualified my view by adding that those areas not served by (adequate) public transport will suffer disproportionally, i.e. they may have no alternative but to drive to work. This will add to their already high fuel bills. In addition, it would make where they live less desirable. Don't get me wrong..personally I'm all for the idea. It would be a very efficient way to collect tax and the polluter would pay. The cynic in me would believe that if this was introduced then a few years down the line a "motor levy" might be also introduced.

oh please!!!!!! so if you had a commerical you'd rather get a taxi than drive your sick child to the hospital? ha!

My point is that if I felt there sufficient need for a back up car that I might need for emergencies, I'd ensure that it was appropriately taxed.

On the other hand, if I had the option to tax a second car at commercial rates, it would make it easier for me to acquire one.

As it is, someone who drives a commercially-taxed vehicle for social/domestic purposes enjoys a benefit that I can't avail of.

Surely the country has a lot more to worry about than stupid matters like this?

It's a form of tax evasion that seems to be on the increase. Whether you regard that as stupid is your own business.

I should have qualified my view by adding
that those areas not served by (adequate) public transport will suffer disproportionally,
i.e. they may have no alternative but to drive to work. This will add to their already high fuel bills. In addition, it would make where they live less desirable. Don't get me wrong..personally I'm all for the idea. It would be a very efficient way to collect tax and the polluter would pay. The cynic in me would believe that if this was introduced then a few years down the line a "motor levy" might be also introduced.

That is the problem..where in Ireland do we have adequate public transport?

If the government want us to use public transport they should really join up the dots..The problem is we need a reliable, adequate,transport system that actually serves the public,,it is just too unreliable.

One example ,is my brother who lives in blackrock, the nearest luas stop is sandyford,it is a half hour walk away.If they had a little bus running around the area,going from the luas to blackrock and surrounding areas, a lot more people would use the luas,this would mean that businesses along the luas line would have more customers.win win situation..but instead they have a double decker bus,which comes I think about every hour and hardly has any one on it..

Self employed people, not only have lower road tax, but can claim VAT on diesel and fuel against income tax. Do they also claim this on private use?

In theory self-employed taxpayers are not supposed to claim tax or reclaim VAT on personal use of the vehicle.

In practice ...

I've heard no mention yet of how the tax on large engined vehicles is totally outrageous - no wonder people try to fiddle it

What i dont understand is how you would enforce this law....ok you sign a declaration when taxing the vehical but you dont need to produce a Vat no.. as far as i know.
And as below how would the gardai prove this...unless follow you round the place..if ya goin to shop and stopped you could say just goin to office....etc..I dont think there is one commerical vehical in the country that could claim not to be used for some private use.?

""This means parents taking their children to school, or people using their work vehicle for shopping or going to the pub or Mass, face the prospect of prosecution and a hefty increase in their motor tax bill if caught."
http://www.independent.ie/national-...spite-gormleys-claims-say-gardai-2313730.html

Can understand why these vehicles are taxed any differently? Businesses and self employed can write off the cost as an expense in their accounts, so in theory, it doesnt matter how much road tax they are charged, because it will be written off against tax anyway.

It's unenforceable and therefore pointless. However it may well be the catalyst that ensures that after the next election the Greens are history. Fingers crossed. :D

One example ,is my brother who lives in blackrock, the nearest luas stop is sandyford,it is a half hour walk away.If they had a little bus running around the area,going from the luas to blackrock and surrounding areas, a lot more people would use the luas,this would mean that businesses along the luas line would have more customers.win win situation..but instead they have a double decker bus,which comes I think about every hour and hardly has any one on it..
why does he have to use the luas? he has the DART, he has a very regular bus service in the 4/4a/7/45, and rather than walking to sandyford if he walked to the N11 he has the most frequent bus service in the city the 46a. The 114 isn't the greatest service, granted, but there are services in the morning when most people would want them.

Can understand why these vehicles are taxed any differently? Businesses and self employed can write off the cost as an expense in their accounts, so in theory, it doesnt matter how much road tax they are charged, because it will be written off against tax anyway.

If car tax is lower rather than higher a self employed person will have, ceteris paribus, more disposable income.

The Cork website now states:
For first time taxing of a goods vehicle by an applicant
Goods vehicles that have a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3500kgs or less require a completed Form RF 111A - Goods Declaration Form. It requires an applicant who is applying for a vehicle to be taxed at the goods rate to provide a Revenue registration identity number to confirm that he or she has a business registered for tax purposes. All applicants should be asked to complete this form and be made aware that if the vehicle is used in any private capacity it must be taxed at the private rate. Proof of commercial insurance shall also be required with each application.

It looks as if existing goods vehicles now don't need the declaration.

My point is that if I felt there sufficient need for a back up car that I might need for emergencies, I'd ensure that it was appropriately taxed.

On the other hand, if I had the option to tax a second car at commercial rates, it would make it easier for me to acquire one.

As it is, someone who drives a commercially-taxed vehicle for social/domestic purposes enjoys a benefit that I can't avail of.

It's a form of tax evasion that seems to be on the increase. Whether you regard that as stupid is your own business.

What you are advocating would appear to eliminate the use of commercial vehicles full-stop. The husband in this case is a business owner and has a legitmate reason the have a commercial vehicle. Are you saying that because they might use it less that 5% of the time (example) that they should tax it as private just to get milk and or take a child to hospital?

I think a bit of realism is required here.

What you are advocating would appear to eliminate the use of commercial vehicles full-stop. The husband in this case is a business owner and has a legitmate reason the have a commercial vehicle. Are you saying that because they might use it less that 5% of the time (example) that they should tax it as private just to get milk and or take a child to hospital?

I think a bit of realism is required here.

My point is that if said husband gets stopped and questioned en route to his local Spar for the milk, how can it be established EITHER WAY that his journry is the exception rather than the rule. How can it be established either way that he only uses his car 5% of the time for personal use. it's hard enough to police as it is.

A more realistic system would be to have a single rate applicable to all categories of user. As someone has already pointed out, business owners have the capacity to write this expense off against tax anyway.

not sure if they can write off personal motor tax against business tax bills, perhaps get an allowance for the commercial amount however, but thats it

In cases where individuals purchase a vehicle which is classed as commercial (by the relevant STATE body) for entirely private use, you are absolutely right and I agree with you! BUT I don't understand why you have such a huge problem with examples I have given earlier (minor private use of a legitimate commercial vehicle) especially given that a lot of people like my husband and I pay thousands in other types of tax, have done everything we possibly could to keep as many of his pre-recession employees employed, even at the cost of living on less than a minimum wage ourselves. Before you start, no we don't want a medal or anything because you wouldn't have enough for all the small business owners who are doing exactly the same but that's a completely different thread. Like everything in life, nothing is either black or white but there are many, many shades of grey.

This is a sensible policy as there is wholescale abuse of this 'loophole'; soemone wants a 4x4 but don't want to pay the tax so they get a crewcab version and tax it as a commercial vehicle.

I know of plenty who are doing this. Come to think of it I don't know one owner of one of these vehicles who isn't.

IMHO, this is the bit that is very wrong and in SUCH cases, I agree that people should be made pay private rate of motor tax.

My point is that if said husband gets stopped and questioned en route to his local Spar for the milk, how can it be established EITHER WAY that his journry is the exception rather than the rule. How can it be established either way that he only uses his car 5% of the time for personal use. it's hard enough to police as it is.

Ahem, all you or the garda would need to do is to look at the state of it - the back is jammers with business related stuff and the passenger seat is burried under piles and piles of business related paper and small bits and bobs.

Plus, if you have a small child, a two-seater is useless for social and pleasurable purposes. The only 'private' purpose it can possibly serve is running a minor errand.

Back