New but wanting to learn invester

A

AnthonyMc

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice. I want to invest small regular amounts (100-150 per month) in something that will provide me with possibly decent returns. I am a bit confused on what are my best options. I have read a lot of posts on here looked at many sites etc but am really none the wiser. I would be thinking about investing this money for the next 5-10 years. Can someone recommend the best options or can someone recommend an excellent book that I would be able to learn a bit more about my options.

I also have 5,000 coming from my ssia at the end of the month. At present I am going to put it into a rabodirect account until I decide there is a better option. Any suggestions? I would only be interested in low to medium risk here and looking at investing for less than 3 years

Have you read the key posts and, in particular, the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments? If you are investing for a 5-10 year period the a low charges unit linked fund might be a suitable option for some or all of your regular savings. Even if only while deciding what to do stick any lump sum in a high rate deposit account - see . You don't give details of your overall financial situation but if you have any debts then you might want to look at clearing or reducing these before saving/investing.

My current financial situation is totally debt free. I am good at managing my finances as I am only on an income of approximately 20-24k a year due to being a doctoral student however I am able to say about 150 a month. Would you recommend any good book that has everthing coordinated together I have read many of the guides you mention but find them a bit over the place or not informative enough

I have read many of the guides you mention but find them a bit over the place or not informative enough
How so? I thought that they covered the basics pretty clearly. If you find those summary guides confusing or insufficient then you probably really need to get independent professional advice - e.g. a detailed fact find and financial review with an authorised advisor or good multi-agency intermediary. Avoid tied agents unless you know that you want to buy their products as they will not give independent, objective advice.

Apologies the askaboutmoney guide looks quite good. I was thinking about some of the others such as by the financial regulator etc which i think do not provide much info

I thought that the IFSRA guide gave a good basic overview. At least it explains the core ideas of clarifying one's short, medium and long term goals and identifying savings/investment options that match these as well as one's attitude to risk/volatility etc.

Back