New bathroom tax deductible question

No it's not, it's a repair
Replacing, on a like-for-like basis (allowing for advancements in materials, etc), an item that has been damaged or is nearing the end of its useful life is certainly a repair.

However, the OP has just told us he spent €5,000 on installing a new bathroom - you're assuming the rest in arriving at a very definitive conclusion.

Replacing, on a like-for-like basis (allowing for advancements in materials, etc), an item that has been damaged or is nearing the end of its useful life is certainly a repair.

However, the OP has just told us he spent €5,000 on installing a new bathroom - you're assuming the rest in arriving at a very definitive conclusion.
I think you're getting bogged down in two things: New and 5K.

You are doing well nowadays to re do a bathroom for 5K, so while it seems a large sum it actually isn't. It's a normal price now to do it, as a landlord you either do it right or you do it in drips and drabs which is more costly, wasteful and time wasting, to say nothing of driving tenants nuts or yourself insane.

I've been quoted 30K to rewire, new shower-room, paint, fix roof etc. I've decided against doing it as it's too expensive and I can't do it with the tenant in situ. Worst of all is I can't increase the rent. So I'm waiting in hope the place falls more to bits and the council comes and tells me to sort it out and then I can evict the tenant and do a right job on it. However much I spend will go straight off as repairs. What's more the RTB/Government are telling us that spending money doing up places is no reason to get rid of tenants. Because it's not drastic enough. Now they can't have it both ways.

I shall as ever be relying on my accountant on the tax claims on this, but from decades of experience I know this is repair and not capital enhancement.

I think you're getting bogged down in two things: New and 5K.
No Bronte, I'm not.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that a relative of mine sold a holiday home a couple of years ago and claimed (on the advice of her accountant) a bathroom refurbishment as an enhancement for CGT purposes. Revenue queried this but ultimately accepted this deduction.

Every case is obviously fact specific but in that case the refurbishment very clearly added value to the property at the time it was sold.

The OP didn’t tell us that he replaced items on a like-with-like basis or even that there was anything wrong with the existing bathroom that required replacement. You added all these details yourself to arrive at a very definitive conclusion.

Be careful. Pre-letting expenses are not deductible.
I now know that from my separate thread. It's a catch 22. If we moved the tenants in and did the work around them it would work tax wise - but very unfair to tenants and impractical.

It could be significant enough in 6 years time if Revenue decide you were wrong and add penalties and interest.
Not trying to scare you, but you should get advice on this.
I'm aware of that and would be sensible. It's been a few years since I had a rental property and made any returns. I didn't expect I'd be back doing it again. As I now know that I can't claim for pre-rental expenditure it would only be above board items going in - which when all the graft and expense has been done this year will be small money next year (s) when doing any returns. I might wait and install the boiler when there are tenants in situ though.

No Bronte, I'm not.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that a relative of mine sold a holiday home a couple of years ago and claimed (on the advice of her accountant) a bathroom refurbishment as an enhancement for CGT purposes. Revenue queried this but ultimately accepted this deduction.

Every case is obviously fact specific but in that case the refurbishment very clearly added value to the property at the time it was sold.

The OP didn’t tell us that he replaced items on a like-with-like basis or even that there was anything wrong with the existing bathroom that required replacement. You added all these details yourself to arrive at a very definitive conclusion.
Landlords don’t go around fitting new bathrooms unless they have to.

Why did revenue query the expense. Was that holiday home let out or not. Why was the refurbishment done.

To increase the value of the property! You know, an enhancement on what was already there.
Well as a landlord I only do bathrooms because I have to! Not to increase the value. And I did not do them to the level I have in my own home. But if I were renovating a property with a view to selling then I’d approach the matter in an entirely different way.

With respect @Bronte, this thread is not about what you do or don't do.

It is entirely possible that a landlord outside a RPZ would seek to improve their property to increase its rental potential.

With respect @Bronte, this thread is not about what you do or don't do.

It is entirely possible that a landlord outside a RPZ would seek to improve their property to increase its rental potential.

While it’s admirable that you’re playing devil’s advocate, I think it’s fair to say that it’s exponentially more likely that the installation of a new bathroom in a rental property is much more likely to happen (and be accepted by anyone looking at it) as a repair/renewal, rather than to “enhance” the rental potential (or indeed the property value, which would be a ludicrous premise in circumstances where the property is held for letting).

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate.

I'm simply pointing out that capital expenditure on a property improvement is not deductible in calculating rental profit. But it is deductible in calculating a capital gain.

That's not an opinion - that's simply what the tax code provides.

I've said repeatedly on this thread that every case is fact specific.

I don't see any point in offering a very definitively stated opinion on the basis of a fact pattern that is "exponentially more likely" (whatever that means).

I just offer an opinion (that can be accepted or ignored - no skin off my nose) on the basis of what we have been actually told. Not imagined or assumed.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate.

I'm simply pointing out that capital expenditure on a property improvement is not deductible in calculating rental profit. But it is deductible in calculating a capital gain.

That's not an opinion - that's simply what the tax code provides.

I've said repeatedly on this thread that every case is fact specific.

I don't see any point in offering a very definitively stated opinion on the basis of a fact pattern that is "exponentially more likely" (whatever that means).

I just offer an opinion (that can be accepted or ignored - no skin off my nose) on the basis of what we have been actually told. Not imagined or assumed.

Hold on.

Take this back to the OP’s question - he is looking for an income tax deduction if one is available.

The answer to that is, in effect, yes. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, Revenue will accept expenditure of the type outlined by the OP, as repairs / renewals, if that is how the OP characterises it.

Do you disagree?

Ok how's this one for you, literally just found out one of my boilers (the second one in less than 2 years) has given up the ghost. 2,500 Euro parts, labour 7 year guarantee. Replacement or capital expenditure?

Hold on.

Take this back to the OP’s question - he is looking for an income tax deduction if one is available.

The answer to that is, in effect, yes. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, Revenue will accept expenditure of the type outlined by the OP, as repairs / renewals, if that is how the OP characterises it.

Do you disagree?
Yes, I disagree.

The answer is that replacing an item on a like-for-like basis, allowing for advances in materials, that is damaged or is nearing the end of its useful life is a repair.

I've already pointed to a case where Revenue accepted that a bathroom refurbishment was an improvement.

Again, every case is fact specific - there's no "default" position.

Yes, I disagree.

The answer is that replacing an item on a like-for-like basis, allowing for advances in materials, that is damaged or is nearing the end of its useful life is a repair.

I've already pointed to a case where Revenue accepted that a bathroom refurbishment was an improvement.

Again, every case is fact specific - there's no "default" position.

And the fact in this case is that the person wants to take an income tax deduction, in which case the answer is, call it repairs / renewals and there won’t be a problem.

If Revenue ask about the rental deductions, he has the receipts for fixing up a bathroom in a rental property - there’s nothing to suggest enhancement / improvement beyond the normal (bog!) standard.

In that case it was a serious enhancement of what is more a private dwelling than a landlord refurbishing a bathroom after tenants.

Out of interest how come revenue queried the CGT return and in what circumstances was the enhancement explaination accepted by the revenue official. Was it a meeting or what?

there’s nothing to suggest enhancement / improvement beyond the normal (bog!) standard.
Equally there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't an enhancement. You're still making assumptions.
Out of interest how come revenue queried the CGT return and in what circumstances was the enhancement explaination accepted by the revenue official. Was it a meeting or what?
Revenue requested details and copy invoices. Correspondence only, no meetings.

Equally there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't an enhancement. You're still making assumptions.

Revenue requested details and copy invoices. Correspondence only, no meetings.
Interesting. Do you have any idea why? Was the enhancement so high that it triggered something do you think. I keep all my receipts till I die. Just in case. Just for revenue. Something my old boss told me when he got caught for 2 million.

Back