Never paid LPT, want to get tax clearance

cremeegg

Never paid LPT, want to get tax clearance, thats about it really. A friend of mine, yes really, never registered for LPT, he now wants to get his affairs in order, what is the best way to go about that and how likely is it that he can avoid the late payment penalty.

Any info or suggestions welcome.

He needs to register the property online with Revenue. There will be some penalties but nothing as extortionate as the NPPR which I hope doesn't affect him.

He needs to register the property online with Revenue. There will be some penalties but nothing as extortionate as the NPPR which I hope doesn't affect him.
I would have thought he'll need to pay up, including all penalties, unless he has an exemption.

Never paid LPT, want to get tax clearance, thats about it really. A friend of mine, yes really, never registered for LPT, he now wants to get his affairs in order, what is the best way to go about that and how likely is it that he can avoid the late payment penalty.

Any info or suggestions welcome.
Can't see how he can avoid penalties as he is totally at fault here. But he can count himself lucky it's not the NPPR we are talking about ! I know two people got caught massively for this.

Depends how much the property was valued at the introduction of the tax, bear in mind the household charge which preceded it may have to be paid as well. If memory serves me right it was a €100 euro charge per house and it doubles and is capped at €200 for non payment.

[broken link removed]

As I was doing the rental tax returns recently when I logged on to the LPT site I noticed a comment about the fact that the house hold charge had been paid. So revenue have linked both taxes. Not sure about the NPPR though. No mention of that.

Good news - Revenue are NOT charging the 4% interest on late LPT at the moment.:)

Just register for ROS and pay them online.
I had to phone Revenue to include the Household Charge in the list.

You can pay all arrears in one go with a card.
If you want to pay say .... 4 out 9 years arrears you may have to do it a year at a time.
(This is an existing flaw with the Revenue system if you were defering paymets).

Good news - Revenue are NOT charging the 4% interest on late LPT at the moment.

I spoke to revenue a few months ago and asked them to add the household charge
and interest to the 2013 - 2019 list. (I had been officially deferring).
She said that "interest was not being charged at the moment"

I paid all arrears this month and the only penalty applied was the €100 on the Household Charge.
As I said, my payment method to date was "Deferral"
I changed it "Card" and paid without penalty.

CAVEAT: Maybe it's differernt for individuals who didn't officially defer and just ignored (but I doubt it).

Back