Nct Mis-informing People

LIVERLIPS

Hi just to let you all know about the run around i got with the nct. I got my car tested the start of November. I failed due to as they stated inner tie-rods left and right where worn, nct employer told me that they are 25 euro each to buy. So went off ordered them in a suppliers, booked car in for a date with mechanic. Mechanic phoned my boyfriend on the day car was with him and says inner tie-rods are ok and that it is the steering rack. So by the time that part was ordered and mechanic was available i missed my re-test which meant i had to pay 21.90 cancellation fee. And a re-test fee of 27.50 euro. I got it re-tested on friday just gone and informed them that it was not my fault that i missed my re-test and that i was mis-informed.

The same employer came came out and more or else said i should not have gone by what he said on the sheet i said they should not be touching the cars and giving out wrong information if they are not mechanics. So he informs me that he is a mechanic and i said if that is the case how come you did not notice the steering rack was gone where my mechanic noticed straight away.

Luckily my boyfriend works shift and i managed to have his car while my car was with the garage twice and that the suppliers where decent and took back the inner tie-rods. I am touch with the minister of transport and have made a offical complaint to the nct.

So i suggest everybody be weary of them when they inform you of what parts need to be replaced

Hi LL,

I suggest you document your complaint (together with your boyfriend and your mechanic) and submit the complaint in writing to the following address:

Complaints Department
National Car Testing Service (NCTS) Ltd.,
Citywest Business Campus,
Lakedrive 3026,
Naas Road,
Dublin 24

Let us know how you get on.

aj

Thanks guys for your advice will get cracking on my letters. The letter stated i failed on due to inner tie-rods been worn. I will let you know how i get on.

Had the same problem. Took wife's car to NCT. It failed due to steering. Mechanic came out and told me what needed to be replaced pointing to rod closest to wheel. Bought parts and had them replaced by budget garage (more fool me). I brought the car back for retest only to fail and be told that I had done nothing with the car. I pointed out the parts that had been replaced and was told that these were the wrong parts and that it should have been the inner parts. I complained that I was given wrong advice. The fail form had the guys reference number on it and he was called out to speak to me and the manager and he point blank denied that he ever spoke me after the test and that h had never even come out to show me the parts that needed replacing. Of course by this time I would have to have full retest (full fee). I complained to head office in writing and was waived the fee. I replaced the parts and it passed.

Even better story-brother had a camry that failed with off side knuckle or other joint. Being a bit handy he replaced the part himself and rebooked it in. He was chatting to me and telling me what he had done. We got into discussion and argued over what was the off side and what was near side. Anyone he goes home and gets in under the car and notices a X chalk mark on the other joint and it dawns on him that he'd replaced the wrong part. With the test the following day he had no time to replace the so called faulty one so he got a rag with some diesel and cleaned the joint to make it look like new and guess what it passed.

Now what d'ya make of that

Oh and he scrapped the camry soon after

Heard of people failing NCT on account of their spare tyre.
borrowed another spare off a friend and used it to pass the test, then switched back to old spare.
(not that i would condone this sort of thing)

Back