Navan, Trim or Slane

I've done long commutes in the past, and I think you can do it for a couple of years but then you start to tire of it. IMO.

Well the M3 has been awful for the last 2 mornings at Blanchardstown tailing back to Mulhudard. I dont get why the M3 is meant to be a saviour for the long suffering Meath commuter when the bottleneck of Blanch/M50 is still there. Anyway, the train station at Dunboyne will be ready in 2 years and there is supposed to be a large park and ride conecting with the station near Fairyhouse on the new M3, so transport links may improve from Trim above the current bus service. I am pessimistic about the train line to Navan by 2015, but that's just me. Dont know why they can n't put a lightrail line along the road as they are building it, just like the set up from the new Athens airport.

For 4 years I commuted form Drogheda which required a 30-40min drive from Nobber - yes, I could have gone from Dundalk but there are more trains from Drogheda. The car parking is a nightmare and getting on the train at Pearce and engaging in the mad dash to your car was just plane stupid. I gave up and resort to private bus after a car accident one icy morning a few years ago, but I really miss the train.

I think I'd go for Slane - nice village (fabulous patisserie that attracs people for miles), good connections and the N2 seems like a much better road these days now the by-pass around Ashbourne. The N1 is also handy alternative...the N3 is just a nightmare, but one some of us have to live each day unfortunately.

Moved to Trim 4 years ago. Both myself & Mrs Fandango work in Dublin city centre.

Initially used Bus Eireann, but had to give up on them because: (a) often bus would be full by the time it got to our stop and would pass by without stopping, (b) journey could take anything up to 2 hours which meant we couldn't be guaranteed to get to work on time. Haven't been on the bus for about 2 years now so can't tell you what the current journey time is.

Switched from bus to the train - Enfield station is only about 15 minutes drive. The train is fairly reliable with the odd exception where everything goes wrong in one day but I think that can happen any line. The only drawback about the train service is that it is not terribly frequent - 3 trains in the morning and 3 in the evening. Generally with the train you know exactly when you are going to get into town. Parking in Enfield is a major problem at the moment. Irish Rail keep talking about improving it though. The train takes about 1 hour 10 mins to get to Pearse Station from Enfield.

Mrs Fandango still uses the train, but I have switched to a motorbike which I find great. Door to door in under an hour - sticking to speed limits and not driving like a lunatic. The N3 is not particularly pleasant as cars/buses/trucks try to make up every inch on each other but if you are careful it's manageable.

I believe that traffic on the N2 is lighter than the N3 which might make Slane more attractive, but I love it in Trim now. Plenty of space around us and a manageable commute.

Back