Navan, Trim or Slane

spillac

Hi,
I work in Dublin 2 and am hopefully buying a house in Meath area soon. I am originally from Navan but the commute seems a nightmare from what I have heard here. I have been looking at Trim and Slane and the prices there are quite reasonable but I am worried that the commute will just be the same from those areas as Navan.
Can anyone let me know how long it would take to get from Navan/ Trim or Slane to Dublin (I work 8 to 6) and which town you would recommend?

With Slane, you have the benefit of dual carriageway from Ashbourne, and I would say that that the N2 is generally not as busy as the N3.

Thanks for that - the advice in general I am getting is that it is quicker to get to Dublin from Slane and Trim than Navan. Could anyone tell me how long it takes them to get to work? I would like actual examples from people living in the towns! thanks

Did you try looking in the duleek area.My girlfriend usually leaves bout 8.00 and she said she hit the M50 roundabout in about 25 mins which is good.I'd say it would take another 25 mins to hit town maybe less if you know any short cuts. Check out for property in the duleek, kentstown and slane area

Hi there,

I'm originally from Dublin and moved to Navan approx 8 years ago and commute to D4 on a daily basis.

I leave at approx 6:30am and get into work for 7:45 / 08:00am, the majority of my journey is taken up once I pass the M50 which can be anything from 35 minutes to over an hour.

Travelling home from the city center at 4:00pm can be hit and miss, average journey time anything from 90minutes to 2 hours, which can be a pain

As a coincidence we are in the process of building our own house on the outskirts of Slane which personally has a better community spirit and a quieter pace of life than that of Navan.

Dunno how you do that commute myself. I'm not in those areas but my commute takes me 35~60mins in the morning and about the same at the evening, working 8-4 or 10-6. The key is leaving as clost to 7 and as close to 4 as I can. After years of commuting I find anything over 40mins in either direction is too long for me. Especially if its in traffic.

Have a look at the Meath on Tack site. http://www.meathontrack.com/

If a train line is delivered to Navan it will take much of the hassle generally associated with commuting in from there. Remember, buying a house is normally a long term strategy. If you buy further out in the County away from the planned line you may well live to regret it as you will still have to commute into Navan to catch the train. Likewise once a rail line is a certainty and work commences on it, all other things being equal, property prices are bound to rise there relative to adjacent areas not directly served by the line (maybe they won't fall as much either in the event of a downturn).

Why Meath on Track didn't run a couple of single issue candidates in the last election is beyond me. Any such TD going into Berties office recently would be pushing an open door and could have got any deal they wanted.

Meath now has the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey representing them. If he can't get the train up and running, with the Green Party support, he might as well resign from politics.

Murt

hi there, i live in Trim and this morning it took me 40 mins to get into the city centre, traffic was fine but some mornings it can be crazy but its easier to get there from Trim than Navan..

Did you think of Dunboyne and the surrounding areas? They are in closer proximity to Dublin and, until the train line is delivered, you are quite close to Maynooth which has a train to Connolly/Pearse etc. It might be worth considering; certainly I'd have thought that Dunboyne is likely to be the first station to open on a line to Navan.

might be worth considering the toll that living in Navan will mean you have to pay if you drive to dublin.

Hi,

thanks for the advice - think I'll go with Slane or Trim - will have to do a few trail runs from both places first maybe. I agree that dunboyne would be a good buy but is a bit too pricey for me.

try and stay in dublin there is value there if you look , your mad if you go beyond the pale. short term gain for long term pain. commute, social, work/life balance and the falling attraction of the commuter belt ? stay near the dart,luas or metro your mad if you dont but if you cant afford to well then good luck, but can you afford not to?.

Would agree with the hoff. If you plan to work in Dublin long term, I d look for a place in Dublin even if it meant getting a smaller house.

Have you considered rentingin Trim or Slane to compare commutes?

Spillac, if you pick Slane, you'll have the option of driving to Drogheda and getting a train from there - given that you're working from 8am, you would most likely get parking at the station before 7am. Trains can be fairly full though (we live in hopes that the "almost local" minister for transport will find a few more trains!!).

thanks for the advice - I am going to view a few places in Ratoath instead on saturday - will see how that goes. I am not sure as I really want a 3 bed in Slane or Trim and not a little ground floor apt in Ratoath!

Hello,

I pass through Slane most mornings around 7.00 am. At this time it takes approximately 30 minutes to the Finglas roundabout on the M50. The only delay is Balrath Cross (I think that's the name of the junction where the Drogheda traffic joins the N2). For what it's worth, Slane looks like a nice area.

Best of Luck,
Zico.

we have bought a little cottage in wilkinstown with 20 acres for the same price as our box in dublin. She will commute via drogheda then train to dublin . Should take 1 hr 15 .. She commutes from sandyford to dublin 1 at the moment 8 miles and it takes 1hr, work it out which is the prospect .???

we have bought a little cottage in wilkinstown with 20 acres for the same price as our box in dublin. She will commute via drogheda then train to dublin . Should take 1 hr 15 .. She commutes from sandyford to dublin 1 at the moment 8 miles and it takes 1hr, work it out which is the prospect .???

edenjohnny make sure that you check out the parking situation at Drogheda train station. I believe that there are no spaces if you arrive after 7am in the morning. There are overcrowding issues on the train also.

I did very similar to you and bought in good big site in Wilkinstown and have now been commuting to Dublin on the Drogheda train for the last three years.

As the other poster said, the worst thing about Drogheda train station is getting parked after 7AM. There is absolutely no bother getting parked for the 6:59 service but after that it is a bit of a lottery. I would like to know how Mrs edenjohnny is going to do the journey in 1 hour 15 minutes when it takes 25 minutes just to get the train station from Wilklinstown? My routine is to leave the house at 6:25, catch the 6:59 train, arrive in Pearse at about 8:05 and then walk to Stephen's Green to arrive in work at about 8:15. That makes it one hour 50 minutes. The man benefit (and it is an outstanding one) of getting the train in Drogheda is a cast iron guarantee of getting a seat.

On the way home the trains are packed with not only workers but also school children and students. I always get the 16:15 out of Pearse and getting a seat on the train is in the lap of the Gods. Later trains get even busier so if Mrs. edenjohnny finishes work at, say, 17:00 then she is in for a daily nightmare. Once back in Drogheda you then have the traffic to negotiate. What is a plain sailing 25 minute journey in the morning can take anything from 30 minutes up to 50 minutes in the evening. It is my belief that the traffic lights in Drogheda are timed to create a jam and discourage motorway traffic from using the town as a toll booth bypass. At times it can take 10 minutes just to get out of the train station.

Saying all of that I love where I live and am, at the moment, still happy enough to continue this daily 4 hours of commuting. Sitting in the back garden on a Sunday afternoon listening to the silence and watching the swallows swoop is a joy.

Back