Navan rail link 'not economically viable'

Yes, but who do politicians get their mandate from? In some regards, we are a stupid race of people only concerned with our own parochial concerns and interests and are continuing to pay a high price for such ignorance.
Our political system elects weak governments. They will never be able to take on the public sector or the unions. So no matter who we elect it won't change.

Our political system elects weak governments. They will never be able to take on the public sector or the unions. So no matter who we elect it won't change.

What do you mean by the political system? PR?

Yes, but who do politicians get their mandate from? In some regards, we are a stupid race of people only concerned with our own parochial concerns and interests and are continuing to pay a high price for such ignorance.

Example: After all the lobbying about Navan rail, all the sitting FF TD's in Meath retained their seats in the last election anyway.

What message did that send to them about the rail project ?

Yep, it gives us a strong parliament but a weak government. I'm not saying I'd change it but them’s the drawbacks.

Yes, but other countries with similar political systems have far better planning, transport and public services. Why have we fallen so far behind? Is it our dislike of taking on vested interests and no apparent interest in the common good?

Well, now look whats happened to the head of IE's Transport21 projects !!

"Rail project manager removed from post after comments"

[broken link removed]

It seems IE think the rail link is viable.

According to the Meath Chronicle report,
"There are also political sensitivities around the issue although the Department of Transport has made no statement on the latest development involving Mr Finn.
Just two weeks ago, Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey said that the Dublin-Navan project would definitely go ahead"

Hmmm, political sensitivities, whatever can they mean ? :rolleyes:

Good stuff. I can sleep easily at night knowing that billions of euro of taxpayers money will be spent wisely by these muppets. Whats the bets they will replace the guy with a friend of Berties who has years experience in DIY.

The reaon I can't understand the huge cost projections is when I compare it to the projected costs of re-opening the WRC, which are as follows:

"The WRC can be broadly divided into four basic sections of line*. Table 1 lists these sections, the distances involved, the capital costs and the averages costs per mile. This data is taken from the FaberMaunsell capital costs study.

Table 1

Section Distance Capital Cost Average Cost

Per Mile

Ennis to Athenry 36 miles €74.7m €2.1m
Athenry to Tuam 15.5 miles €34.7m €2.2m

Tuam to Claremorris 17 miles €58.9m €3.5m
C/morris to Collooney 46.25 miles €197.4m €4.3m

OK, so that €2m per mile may be a few years ago, and it may not included any land acquisition costs.

But still, Dunboyne to Navan is max 20 miles, so how cvould that cost 500m+

That Clairemorris to Collooney (and possibly all the others also) involved no acquisition costs afaik, as the line was in existance but just not used for years and in a poor state of repair.

What's the deal with the link between Heuston St and Connolly? Are they still planning on creating a new tunnell even though there is one there that could just be upgraded ? More waste !

That Clairemorris to Collooney (and possibly all the others also) involved no acquisition costs afaik, as the line was in existance but just not used for years and in a poor state of repair.

What's the deal with the link between Heuston St and Connolly? Are they still planning on creating a new tunnell even though there is one there that could just be upgraded ? More waste !

I don't think that many people argue that the Phoenix Park tunnel is a viable goer in terms of a successful Dublin rail system. It should definitely be expoited in the short term (something IE said they would do, but haven't), but all studies have shown the need for the interconnecter. Wasn't it ,or a variant of it,included in the original plans for the DART in the 1970's? IE themselves seem to have replaced interconnector with DART Underground in recent publications.

Just because it costs a large sum of money doesn't automatcially mean it's a waste of money.....I agree that past performance in these sort of projects (Luas/Port Tunnel) is fairly woeful though.

Well, now look whats happened to the head of IE's Transport21 projects !!

"Rail project manager removed from post after comments"

[broken link removed]

It seems IE think the rail link is viable.

According to the Meath Chronicle report,
"There are also political sensitivities around the issue although the Department of Transport has made no statement on the latest development involving Mr Finn.
Just two weeks ago, Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey said that the Dublin-Navan project would definitely go ahead"

Hmmm, political sensitivities, whatever can they mean ? :rolleyes:

The link isn't working for me, and I can't seem to navigate around that site.

The Phoenix Park Tunnel cannot increase capacity through the city centre. The new tunnel (interconnector) certainly does that, and is probably the most important piece of railway infrastructure in T21

Back