Natural Roof Slates - recommendations?

you need too make sure you get a guarantee. Im a roofer I used vila del ray from slate solutions and they gave me a 75 yr guarantee. Brazilian is too brittle. Gallegas is very patchy when it is up and the sun hits it

Hi Benji777,

I have also decided to go for the Vila Del Ray. Saw the small ones on a house recently and they look great. However, they are expensive!

Do you mind me asking what you paid for them? I was quoted €1.85 plus VAT for the 20x10. He did say that he could "do a bit better for me" so will let you know when he comes back to me.

Thanks, Pudzer

Lads..how many of the 20x10 slates would you need per m2 and roughly how much is roofer looking for per m2 or slate?

it depends,

im hearing around a euro for a fiber cement

or 1.30 for a natural,

there is a double blow here as FC tend to be 600 x 300 where as natural are 500 x 250 or 400 x 200,

im still weighting this up but the roof will be starting in 2 weeks and need to make a call,

ive seen some fiber cement roofs here with a imere ridgecap that really takes the look of the FC slate, in fact it looks kinda of good.

Just wondering if anyone considered a black clay tile as an option.....or why not? Im swaying towards it as a better long term product when really expensive slate is outa the question? Anyone used it on a dormer with quite a high pitch and only veluxs? Other options are a spanish slate so what should I be looking out for here???? Havnt totally disregarded the plastic slate yet....anyone any info on these! Really have to make up my mind this week so all info would be much appreciated!!!!!

Am currently building a louse and am going with Cupa slates- am reliably informed that the spanish slates such as Cupa are much better than cheaper Brazilian alternatives- i've been told to definitely stay away from them- Cupa hold their colour. i've also been told that a copper strip will react with the rainwater and help keep them clean- I havent seen that used thoug but will probably go with it as long as it is not visually intrusive

there is a person in athy supplying an eco slate that is plastic but looks the exact same as a natural slate. price approx 1.50 24*12

Whats the life span and colour longivity?

Joejoe

Back