Natural Roof Slates - recommendations?

pudzer

I am looking at natural black slates for my new roof (new build). I have seen new houses with natural black slates that become horrible and dirty after just a couple of years whilst others remain gleaming for years.

Are there any particularly good slates around that anyone could recommend?

Thanks, Pudzer

Try Irish slate distributors LTD in Baldonnell (no affiliation).
They have some very good quality spanish slate. dont touch the Brazilian ones they are poor quality.
I got a good few samples from Capco and Tegral and other companies and the spanish slates ISDL gave me were by far the best quality.
Expect to pay around 1.40 for 20x 10 and about 2.40 for 24x12. Its cheaper to buy the smaller ones but more expensive to lay and vice versa. If you have a lot of detail on the roof the small ones are the best

We used Cupa H3 natural slate, which we love. The house is up almost 2 years, and so far they are perfect. We bought them in the North, but I think the Brooks Group do them in the South.

Just my tuppence worth, but I've recently looked at samples of natural slate sourced from Brazil and I'd be very wary. The slate looked great but the rear face of the slate was cleary sawn as opposed to riven or split from a block of stone. This struck me as unusual; while sawn slate would be perfectly acceptable for flooring, roof slate should be riven along its natural bed. I'd be concerned about longevity. The issue of air miles and carbon footprint in bringing this material from Brazil would trouble me also!

I had the Samaca Q49 Premier recommended to me by Richmond Slate suppliers. Went to see them on one roof & they sat lovely on it. Grey/black in colour. The house was literally just built though, so cannot comment on how well they'll 'weather'.

F.R. Cathcart in Enniskillen - cost £1.02 per slate but bear in mind that this was in August 2005, so prices may have changed.

there is a person in athy supplying an eco slate that is plastic but looks the exact same as a natural slate. price approx 1.50 24*12

For any interested parties. Called FR Cathcart today & got the following approx. prices:

£1.02 + VAT for Capco Gallegas
£1.02 + VAT for Samaca Q49
£0.90 + VAT for Cupa H3

Stg to Euro in Cathcarts = 1.36, so probably better rate available in banks. Will deliver within reasonable distance in Republic.

Like berlin, I bought the Cupa Natural Slate from Brooks last year,a lovely looking slate...bought the 24x12...delighted with how they look,glad I didnt go for the Thrutone slate

apple1, what size are these slates you priced please ? are they a lot cheaper in the north than in the south ?

Hi Lorna....they are 20x10. They may be a little cheaper due to lower VAT rate & strength of euro currently.

Hi

I was talking to a rep from Richmond recently re natural slate and she mentioned a copper strip that is available that helps keep the slates clean. Its something to do with the rain running off the copper. That Samaca Q49 mentioned in other threads does seem good.

Just ordered 5000 (Capco) Brazilain slates today for my new build.... Can someone reassure me that I made the right decision??? Paying extra to have them laid too!!!Saw them being laid on a roof today and thought they look really well. Anyone else have this slate on their roof?

Was working on a job recently that had Brazillian slate and I thought they looked atrocious, however in my experience unless you have grade A slate of uniformed thickness, then a budget priced slate needs to be graded into three batches ....thick ...medium..thin and laid accordingly. A budget slate taken randomly from a canch and laid will look awfull. If graded well they can be made to look as good as anything if you have a good roofer.

Thats exactly what my roofer did legs -akimbo he graded them all like you said and i have to say i'm delighted with them

Its all in the preperation, blindingly obvious thst if you put a thick slate next to a thin one then the slate above will cock one way or the other. The thing with roofing in Ireland is that Carpenters tend to also slate and tile whereas they are both independant trades, after all you wouldnt get a slater cutting a roof would you.
As MC D points out a cheaper slate is false economy if the slater just bangs them down each one straight from the pack.

i got a couple of up to date prices today for Cupa H3 natural slates from Cathcart in the North and Brooks in the South.
I am based in London but building a house in S. Ireland so my purchasing currency is sterling and I am trying to establish how to get the best deal on the roofing materials bearing in mind the poor currency exchange from my side. (sterling to euro).

slate size 20x10

Brooks (South) - €1.40 + vat @ 21%
Cathcart (North) - £1.13 + vat @17.5%

anyone out there got any better prices to offer up please ? or am i in the right ball park ?

your not too far off,

the heavy 3 looks like a difficult enoug slate to lay, i am really close to going for it but am also looking at gallegas and and the cupa r4

you need too make sure you get a guarantee. Im a roofer I used vila del ray from slate solutions and they gave me a 75 yr guarantee. Brazilian is too brittle. Gallegas is very patchy when it is up and the sun hits it