My mam has just gotten her travel pass

And speaking of retirement, I am that person and I hope to have my travel pass in a few months and I am looking forward to it.
It will be the only free anything that I am entitled to.
There is the free Gp visit card. That covers a lot - free flu injection etc.

Pensioners are very entitled to free travel . We worked damn hard and are very entitled to some benefits . I do not get a free GP card either. I have never got the flu injection I do not feel the need to ....yet.

Last edited:
I worked all my life and paid my taxes. Why shouldn't I have it.
You should, if you need it. If you don't need it you shouldn't.
I've worked for the last 30 years and will be working for the next 20 (at least). I have never claimed any social welfare, I don't even get children's allowance for my children who live with me full time. I think it would be disgraceful if I received free travel or a medical card; I won't need it.

We worked damn hard and are very entitled to some benefits .
All of you?
All the people who lived off welfare, scammed the system, spent their lives robbing people, selling drugs, engaging in fraud etc. When they retire they are called pensioners.
You get a State pension you didn't pay for (unless you earned a career average income of about €300,000 a year). I'll get the same. Is that not enough?

Take it easy Purple. I was an actual worker in Posts and Telegraphs when Poles had to be erected. When the wires, not cables, had to be put on the poles for miles. Then cables had to be put up when the demand grew for phone lines. That was only some of the physical work that had to be done so I for one did not get it easy . It was lovely in the summer but not so much in the winter. You probably dont remember the old phone wires etc.
So I make no apologies for any , of which there are very few , benefits that I am entitled to. The travel pass is the only thing that I want actually.

Take it easy Purple. I was an actual worker in Posts and Telegraphs when Poles had to be erected. When the wires, not cables, had to be put on the poles for miles. Then cables had to be put up when the demand grew for phone lines. That was only some of the physical work that had to be done so I for one did not get it easy . It was lovely in the summer but not so much in the winter. You probably dont remember the old phone wires etc.
So I make no apologies for any , of which there are very few , benefits that I am entitled to. The travel pass is the only thing that I want actually.
I'm talking in general terms, not about you specifically. I find the general sense of entitlement amongst older people shocking.

I do remember the telegraph poles. I remember my grandparents getting their first phone and they lived in Kimmage.

I know that you were not talking about me personally but there are a lot of people like me and probably more than the people that you were referring to . I thought you were getting over excited earlier :). You should take up golf.......
I worked down the country in the times when people had to wind the phone handle to get the operator, that is not today or yesterday..

I know that you were not talking about me personally but there are a lot of people like me and probably more than the people that you were referring to . I thought you were getting over excited earlier :).
Yes, that can happen the odd time. :)

You should take up golf.......
No time; single parent with 4 kids and a job.

I worked down the country in the times when people had to wind the phone handle to get the operator, that is not today or yesterday..
Wow, that was a while ago alright!

You have your hands full alright but enjoy your kids because they wont be ling growing up. It only seems like the other day that my two were kids , now they are in their 30 s .

You have your hands full alright but enjoy your kids because they wont be ling growing up. It only seems like the other day that my two were kids , now they are in their 30 s .
I know; my oldest is 22 and my second son is just about to turn 18.

I have the travel pass sorted, now to be able to make use of it ;) .

Congratulations, may you be blessed with good health and live long enough to travel the length and breadth of Ireland many times over. Enjoy your retirement and oh don't forget to wear your mask on the buses for the time being...

Thanks Saavy I cannot wait to get travelling and will make use of it , mask or no mask....
1. Now apply for a Free Travel Pass for Northern Ireland. It'll take 10 days to approve.
2. Then travel to Belfast by train. Then take the train to Derry. It's one of the most beautiful train journeys in europe. And it's free.

The application for the Northern Ireland pass is in the processing stage at the moment .
That Belfast to Derry trip will be on my to do list as it sounds good. And yes the best part of any trip is that it is free...

Back