My Ex was a named driver and had an accident & Ins Co settled, ex wont pay

Cat

Bit of a personal question.

When I was with my ex he opened his car door in a petrol station and a women was driving in and so he damaged her car - the short version is that he was under my insurance and we were sharing his car.

The insurance company settled with the lady although my ex thought he was in the right as she wasn't looking were she was going - anyhow the claim was against my insurance and when the insurance company settled the claim I was liable to pay her outright or go through insurance.

I asked ex to pay for claim but he wouldn't - he has company vehicles and I asked the insurance company to go after him under his own company insurance. Even went as far as getting the insurance number from one of his vans. It's a year on and my insurance is due in March and nothing was paid by him and I just feel I should be able to do something about it as it's cost me €2000 and the loss of my no claims bonus.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

if the policy was in your name, then you are the policyholder. Your policy would cover you for the liablity of your drivers, who in law would be deemed your servents or agents.

From what you say, I would feel that your driver (ex) was totally liable for this incident. you cannot open a door without looking.

he is a named driver under your policy and was entitled to indemnity fomr the insurer.

the fact that he drives a company van does not make that company liable. how could his employer be liable for what he did in a private capacity under yoru policy?

Your only hope, and given that he is your ex, it appears to be quite slim, if to work out how much the loss of NCB is worth and he agrees to pay the difference for you.

Sorry for the lack of hope, but despite what others say about me, that i should only give you the answer that you want to hear, I must be honest and not give you false hope.

You ahve lost yoru NCB and thats that.

Hi Ravima,

Thanks for reply and I don't mind hearing a direct answer. The reason I mention Company insurance is that he had his own open insurance on his company vans and the company is his and the insurance Company said they could go after him for the insurance under his own policy. I asked the insurance company to contact him and let him know that they were doing that - I don't know what happened after that, I suppose I will know when policy arrives in March with the mark up cost on it.

I suppose I just wanted to know if it's worth going legal and chasing him for his share of the cost.

Back