Mum inherited house

Hope2divorce

My grandmother died this year and in her will it states my mum gets the house however if she passes away then the house goes to my uncle, her brother who lives in australia. She is wondering what happens then when he passes away. Can he will it to his own children or can a clause be put in for it to be split between both families?
Also, what would the legalities be if mum sold the house now? Is this something she could do if she wanted?

Maybe the will stated that if you mum passed away before she inherited the property that the house would then pass to her brother.

It states that it goes to mum, and then if she passed away first it goes to her brother. He was estranged from my gran but I suppose she was thinking that he would pass before mum as he is an alcoholic. She was 98 making the will!

Its helpful to see the actual wording.

It sounds as if your mum inherited the house for her life and that it then passes to the brother. So, granny has already specified what is to happen when your mother dies.

But if the uncle dies before your mum, is she to get the house entirely? or does it pass to the dead brother's estate?

It is all in the wording.

And it is very unlikely that anyone would buy your mums life interest in the house. It does not sound as if she has anything other than a life interest.

mf

@Hope2divorce mf1 has put it well. You dont tell us whether there are any other 'children' or deceased children of your Grandmother. If there were other children who did not inherit there could be grounds to contest the will.
Also are you saying your grandmother was 98 when she made the will? Did it vastly change and did somebody influence her? Who drew up the will?

Often with these matters there are more details - have you got all the information as folk like mf1 can only make observations based on what you tell us.

Hope thats helpful :)

Back