Multiple Call centre surveys over past few days

chlipps

We have received 5 different calls over past two days from different call centres wanting to conduct surveys... Strange to get so many of them together. Anyone else getting these calls. 3 UK numbers, 1 irish, 1 US so not sure to be concerned or not..Anyone else getting these calls?

I got a call about 2 weeks ago and did the survey. Good time to sell a house, will I try to save more money going forward etc., etc. Irish woman and very pleasant. In her 50's, I'd say. Told me at the end where she was ringing from. We had a great oul chat! Somewhere in the Midlands but can't remember exactly.

I usually oblige if I have the time but wouldn't give personal details or info. If I'm busy, I politely decline. I got a call from someone representing a phone company, last year. I think the woman was Indian. I'm good with languages and accents but I found it very difficult to understand her and said I couldn't continue because of this. She didn't appear to be put out by it but I felt awful telling her.

Lex , an Indian woman conducting a phone survey with a Cork man.
The mind boggles !
I can only hope that the conversation was recorded for training purposes in Mumbai.

I hate cold calls from anyone seeking a "survey" many are used for marketing, you will get extra calls because you are now listed on various registers that will be used to try and sell you anything at all

Some may be valid for a poll but many are marketing stunts with some very dodgy indeed

You can tell your line provider to prevent the calls at no cost. you willof course still get any valid ordinary calls.

I think this would make a good "sticky", "faq" or whatever it's called!

[broken link removed]

I keep getting calls from this number:
I answered once, to silence. Now I never answer them, they never leave a voicemail, the calls always come at roughly the same time each day, including weekends - around 6ish.

Its been going on for months now - occasionally it stops for a few days or weeks, then starts up again.

I know because they leave no voicemail its not an important call - but I do wish they would just leave off - surely its obvious at this stage Im not answering?

You can tell your line provider to prevent the calls at no cost.
I think you may have to be in the phonebook to have your cold call opt-out noted. I'm ex-Directory and have received a few such calls. I know others, also ex-Directory, who have received such calls too. I just say "Sorry, I don't do surveys".

I keep getting calls from this number:

It would appear to be a survey company
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-042-939-4599

I reckon you're on an automatic dialler which then cuts off if it goes to voice mail. Very annoying. If you picked up to silence it means that they did not have an agent available to take the call. Even more annoying.
Best to answer once and tell the agent to remove you from the dialling list. Otherwise they will keep spinning your number on the file and will ring you constantly.

I get calls from that number too...nobody ever on the other end of the line, despite me answering the first number of times it happened.
Would love to tell them where to go if anyone did pick up when I did. I'm generally quite nice when people ring up - its their job and its not easy, so if I can give them an extra 'stat' for the day, then I will, but this not answering lark, when I've rummaged frantically in my bag for my phone - na-ah!

I think you may have to be in the phonebook to have your cold call opt-out noted. I'm ex-Directory and have received a few such calls. I know others, also ex-Directory, who have received such calls too. I just say "Sorry, I don't do surveys".

I'm ex-directory and have opted out for cold calls.

Think the problem is that some of the surveys, etc, are from call centres outside of Ireland, so the opt-out may not apply.

Thanks VOR, my mobile is always on silent, and I almost never pick up numbers Im unfamiliar with or private number calls - if its important, someone will leave a message and I can call them back. I just find it a minor irritation to clear the missed calls after they come in. I was reluctant to answer at all after the time I did to silence - just gave me a creepy feeling.

... I can only hope that the conversation was recorded for training purposes in Mumbai.
Strange you should mention that. Through the power of the interwebby yoke, I found this -

Transcript of Lex’s conversation with Indian tele-sales operator, to the tune of GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME (As recorded by Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren)

Lex: Operator, I'm in trouble.
Operator: Well, goodness gracious me.
L: For a long time now every fecken team, Bates the one that’s dear to me.
O: Mmm?
L: No flush comes to my face, And my pulse has ceased to race,
It don’t go boom buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom
Buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom-boom-boom,
O: Oh!
L: Boom buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom
O: Well, goodness gracious me.

O: Do you need any double glazing? Help to make your broadband start?
You see, our products are designed, To stop this aching in your heart.
L: What kind of team do we, Need to win a victory?
So we can go boom buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom
O: Oh!

O: From Ballincollig to New Delhi
I have done my share of selling,
And I've never yet been beaten or outfoxed,
I remember that with one quote
I sold out a pleasure-cruise boat
I cleared out Alaskan time-shares
And those tiles that were all off-square,
But your complaint has got me really foxed.
L: Oh.

L: Our panel consists of mingers.
L: You may be very clever
But however, can't you see,
For my heart to beat too much
The McCarthy I must touch,
So it’ll go boom buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom
O: I like it!

(Unsuitable stuff censored here)

O: My initial diagnosis
Rules out Rekei and Hypnosis,
As a means to help your county hurlers gell,
Immolation, immigration,
Bantry’s water or crustaceans,
And you'll be so sad to hear
Neither WAGs nor designer gear
Will guarantee to make your Cork heart swell,
Ja-ja, ja-ja-ja-ja.

O: Put two and two together,
L: Ehhh ...
O: If you have eyes to see,
The place that can make your pulses race
Is right in front of thee.
L: Oh, I know, I know, I know,
We’ll go and hurl in Ulster so.
Both: Oh, we’ll go boom buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom
Buddy-boom buddy-boom buddy-boom-boom-boom, on the twelfth
O: Goodness gracious,
L: How audacious!
L: How flirtatious!
L: It is me.
O: It is you?
L: Ah, I'm sorry, it is us.
Both: Ahhh!

N.B. This recording can only be used for training porpoises or Cork Hurlers.

I'm ex-directory and have opted out for cold calls.

Think the problem is that some of the surveys, etc, are from call centres outside of Ireland, so the opt-out may not apply.

Opt out applies !

If you continue to receive calls (after opting out) your line provider must take certain steps to advise the calling company to desist as they are open to be hit with fines.

If you opt out and you get a call, tell your line provider, request a ticket reference and it will/must be followed up.

Thanks for the link Werner.. Must get onto provider

One of the numbers is that 042... number above. Another number rings daily at approx 11.30am..
How did they get my number... do they just raid the phone book?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3A7B6qtUpU Matzer, you're a sad yolk, boy!!!

That's the bootleg version!!!

The real one, available on CD for €11.99, is much clearer and better quality! Just PM for your own autographed copy. (P&P €19.99)

And it'll be the pre-match pep song in the dressing room in September......!

[broken link removed]

And my new friend, Indira, is the new Cork team masseuse!

I'm ex-drectory and was surprised to get one of these calls about a week ago. I ued to get quite a few years ago so I did what I normally do & just put the hand set on the counter & let the caller talk away to themselves for a few minutes - when I hear nothing after a couple of minutes I just hang up.

Of course - this is a classic in terms on how 1 person deals with these calls

These guys use auto diallers which dial random numbers. They don't raid phone-books etc. They systematically dial their way thru a sequence of numbers, say start at 021 567001 and work from there.