Moving toilet

apollo11

Hi

We're hoping to do some serious renovations to the house in the next 6-12 months. I'd like to move the d/stairs loo from utility room to under the stairs. (I'm presuming this is possible in 1st place; my reference would be rented houses I've lived in with loos under stairs, but those loos put in there at time of build)This means moving the waste pipe from an external wall and repositioning it so that it will (probably??) have to go under the kitchen floor and then out to the same external wall, as 'under the stairs' is in the middle of the house. I realise it could get very ugly if a blockage occurs, but my q would be how likely would it be to get so ugly that digging up kitchen again, etc. would be necessary?

Apollo11

I'm doing the exact same at the moment and let me tell you it involves some pretty serious sessions with a con saw/angle grinder and kango and the dust generated is unbelievable so get yourself a good filtered mask and block your nose with tissue - at least this way any dust that gets through is ingested as opposed to getting into the sinuses etc.

By laying the waste pipe under the floor in one continuous length (wavin standard length is 4 metres but I think you can get up to 6 metres) you can pretty much be assured that no blockages will occur that require you to dig it up again - blockages occur at bends and junctions, so I wouldnt let this be a factor in deciding against going with it.

Thanks for that OhPinchy. If you come across anything else during the installation that you think might be handy to know, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Back