Moving to Navan From Dublin

T

therooster

Hi ,
I know there have been some previous threads on this subject but they are dated . I am on the verge of moving to Navan (athlumney) from Dublin .
Can anyone adivise . Are the local schools of good quality .
I work near the airport so the commute is not an issue .

Is there a large travelling community in Athlumney ?

Re: Moving to Navin From Dublin

There have been a number of discussion on this issue in the past. Just do search for Navan and you should find what you are looking for.

I work near the airport so the commute is not an issue .

Is there a large travelling community in Athlumney ?

Yes, as far as I know, there is a very large travelling community in Navan. Most of these people are Dubs who have come to Navan because houses are cheaper and who travel to and from Dublin for work every day. The roads to Dublin are jammed every morning and evening.

My sister lives in Athlumney Wood for 3 years now and loves it. My nephew goes to a lovely school in Lismullen and he is very happy. She has lovely neighbours and I think it's a nice place to live. There is everything you need in Navan town (especially Pennys-LOL) and then there is Johnstown Shopping centre within walking distance.
Thing is though, neither herself of her hubbie commute to Dublin to work on the N3 and it's supposed to be crazy in the mornings. It was really bad on Sat afternoon when I was on it, couldn't believe it but on the plus side the M3 motorway is now under construction!.

I live on the north side of Navan and am from Dublin myself. I love it although the commute can be cruel indeed. From Athlumney to the airport is a nice handy one. You should never ever use the N3. You should go this way instead -

Athlumney => Kentstown => N2 => Ward/Blanch exit => Kilshane Cross => back of airport.

That would take you about 40 minutes in all.

You would be mad to use the N3. It is ridiculous.

Hi There

I have been living in Athlumney, Navan for the past 9 years having moved from Dublin. Athlumney is a lovely area where people will always say hello when you meet them and although we live in a housing estate it is extremely quiet and peaceful. The schools in Navan are very good, we don't have children of school going age just yet but from talking to our neighbours they are very pleased with the schools in the area. St Pauls primary school beside Aura leisure link seems to be most popular with the residents in our estate and there are a number of secondary schools to choose from. Best of luck with your move!!!

I live in Athlumney myself and yes indeed I would be certain the previous poster was enquiring about commuters rather than the link you provided. But as for the area,it is like an extension of Dublin and the estate we are in prides itself on being a progressive community, we are very happy here and have fantastic neighbours. I also agree with the avoid n3 comment, my dh also travels in the direction if your work and the kentstown road is the option for you for sure, an easy commute I would say. The schools however are busy but that seems to be the story everywhere, get your names in there asap I would say, Lismullin is lovely country school as is Cannistown, which would be my first choice, there is also a private primary option in Balreask School which has very small numbers and is just across the bridge, the best of luck with the move

Hi I live in Athlumeny Wood almost 3 years and its lovely everything you need is local and I work beside the airport too (santry) i go the kentstown way everyday and its fine.. the new ashbourne road is great...the estates are lovely and well kept, all shops, pubs, schools etc are in easy reach.. i wouldnt move anyway... best of luck!

Hi I live in Athlumeny Wood almost 3 years and its lovely everything you need is local and I work beside the airport too (santry) i go the kentstown way everyday and its fine.. the new ashbourne road is great...the estates are lovely and well kept, all shops, pubs, schools etc are in easy reach.. i wouldnt move anyway... best of luck!
Are you still living there ?

Hi Futtie,

Welcome to AAM.

Unfortunately ANGELA has not posted on AAM since 2008 so may well not see your post.

I am in Athlumney Abbey the last 3 years and we love it here. Lots of shops and services within the town.

The commute to Dublin can be a bit of a pain, I start work at 7am when I am in the office so I get the 109 bus into town at 5.35am to make it into O'Connell street for 6.50am.

The N3 bus corridor is being reviewed and timetable changes are due on the NX in September

If you are driving to Dublin from Athlumney I strongly advise you to do a few dry runs to & fro at the relevant time of day to understand the traffic situation 1st hand.
Google Maps gives reasonably accurate estimates of typical time range for journeys if you use the 'leave at' or 'arrive by' options.

Back