Moving to America - Impacts on stamp duty

E

efsuliv

Hi there,

I am considering moving to America on an company transfer with my company for minimum 3 years. I purchased a new house 2 years ago as a principal residence. I did not have to pay standard stamp duty but consideration on the site size - around 5000 euro. If I choose to move to America, rent out my house and continue to pay my mortgage from the US will I be subject to full stamp duty (60K)? I have no other properties.

Thanks.

Yes, you will be subject to stamp duty that would have applied to an investor at the time you purchased the property, less any amount paid at the time of purchase.

Plenty of discussion, some of which suggests tax evasion (which is not advisable), in this thread.

I thought there is an exemption if your company are sending you abroad (international transfer from one office to another) the stamp duty would not apply in that case?
Thanks.

If there is, I am not aware of it. I think there is a CGT exemption in that any period spent working abroad is taken into account when determing CGT (if any) on disposal of a PPR, i.e. it is a period of deemed occupation.

Back