Moving phone co. cancelling account

Kagy

Hi all, hoping that someone could advise me where I stand.
I was with UTV internet for both voice and dialup internet service, paying a monthly subscription in advance on top of my line rental.
I recently moved back to eircom and they said that the would implement a single billing arrangement and I didn't need to contact my old company.

I just noticed in my last bank statement that the monthly subscription was still being paid to UTV (Direct Debit). I contacted them and they said I had to give 30days notice. My points are:
  • Eircom cancelled the account with them on my behalf, and I have been paying line rental and call costs to Eircom (and not UVT) since the end of August
  • Cancelling the voice service should be counted as cancelling the full service as they don't provide one without the other (as stated in their faq, and aluded to in their T&C)
Their reply, you have to give us 30 days notice. Does Eircom's taking over calls count?

Thanks
Karl

Did you give UTV 30 days notice? If not then they will charge you one month in lieu of notice as per their terms & conditions.

Apologies, I thought that that forum was for electronic products not services.

Did you give UTV 30 days notice? If not then they will charge you one month in lieu of notice as per their terms & conditions.
Personally, I didn't. But Eircom said I didn't have to contact my old supplier, and as Eircom would have contacted them on my behalf to transfer the voice calls, which were part of the package. I would consider this notice.
I notice that their T&C is worded like
[FONT=tahoma, arial]
Looking at it now, it doesn't specifically say "end the contract". So it looks like I'm out 100 due to bad advice from Eircom. >:-/ If that's the case I still owe up to mid Nov, for a service that I haven't used since Aug! I could cancel the DD but that would probably just lead to more hassle and "adminstration fees"
Would ComReg be of any help to me?

Karl

[/FONT]