Health Insurance Moving laya to Irish life - simply connect

cmalone

Checking what policy option similar with Irish life. Existing policy for many years with laya. Simply connect. Around 100 euro per month. Require a particular procedure that most likely my future consultant will recommend. It’s not covered with laya. Can I move or is there a wait period. ?

I believe any update in cover for a preexisting condition means the relevant waiting period would apply. Others may be able to clarify if my understanding is incorrect

S.

You can only change providers at renewal date.
If the procedure is classed as an upgrade in cover, then there is a 2 year wait for a pre-existing illness/condition in relation to the upgraded cover.
Is it a procedure that's not covered with Laya or is the consultant not signed up with Laya?
Irish Life would be best option to advise what plans cover the particular procedure with the relevant consultant.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you. Consultant registered with laya and Irish life. But actual procedure is only covered by Irish life. I was intending to move to the same level policy with Irish life. Is this not possible ? Renewal was earlier this month.

If your renewal date was on or after 10th January 2020, you can switch to any provider.
You have 14 days following your renewal date to change plans, including with a new provider if required.
If the 14 day cooling off period is expired, you are stuck with your current company for another year.
In that case, you can still switch to another plan with Laya, not as if that's much help.
You could enquire with Laya if any other plan, covers the procedure in question.

If your 14 day cooling off period is expired, there is the option to cancel the Laya plan and change to Irish Life but there
will be cancellation charges attached. Laya will charge the full years premium if you cancel mid-term.
https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/cancelling-your-health-insurance-plan

An equivalent level plan to your current plan would be Irish Life 4D Health 2, @ price 1315pa
You would need to confirm with Irish Life if the procedure is covered on that plan.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Regards, Snowyb

I had been querying the eligibility to the treatment for past month and still have not received a definitive reply from Laya. Should I complain to FSPO ?

By all means, make a complaint to FSPO, even mention it to Laya to put pressure on them to make a decision.
An alternative starting point would be the Health Insurance Authority, to see what advice they could offer in the circumstances.

Back