Moving electricity/gas supplier

deco87

Hi
My contract with bord gais is up in a month

I have 350 in credit still on my electric

If I decide to move suppliers can I " bring" this credit with me ?

Or am I obliged to stay with bord gais in order not too lose it

Thanks

No and no!

When your account with Bord Gais is closed, they will send you whatever you're in credit.

You may well have to follow up with a telephone call.

Probably depends on how you amassed the credit. If you've overpaid by €350 it's yours and you'll get it repaid. If it's some bonus credit it's probably forfeit.

Last edited:
Probably depends on hope you amassed the the credit. If you've overpaid by €350 it's yours and you'll get it repaid. If it's some bonus credit it's probably forfeit.

I don't believe it's forfeit.

All credit on the account must be given.

I don't believe it's forfeit.

All credit on the account must be given.
If I switch provider and they give €100 bonus credit for changing I doubt very much they'll pay that it in cash if I subsequently transfer to another provider. Otherwise I'd be in a perpetual state of switching! If you're right I've missed a trick.

OP is talking about when the contract is up.

If you cancel within the contract period, you will probably forfeit bonus credit and indeed also have to pay €50.

I can't see them paying out bonus credit at any stage either in or out of contract.

As a follow on, the cleanest way to change suppliers is to wait for the contract period to be up.

Then wait a day and sign up with your new supplier.

You don't need to contact your original supplier but they'll almost certainly contact you with some kind of offer.

They're obliged to pay you whatever you are in credit.

If you've overpaid, yes. If it's bonus credit, no

Switching Bonus is an energy credit and can only be used to offset charges on your Electric Ireland account. NO CASH ALTERNATIVES OR REFUNDS will be offered.

That certainly does confuse things.

I have on 2 occasions received credit at the end of contracts which included bonus credit and Gov. credit??

From a supplier perspective Gov credit is effectively a prepayment (just not by the customer).

Why are you in credit by so much ? If it's because they try and even it out for you, I find they usually err on their side to get you to be wary of moving. There's a lesson here.

Why are you in credit by so much ? If it's because they try and even it out for you, I find they usually err on their side to get you to be wary of moving. There's a lesson here.
I live on my own. That's the balance of the government subsidy that I have yet to use. I am quite certain it dies if I decide to move suppliers when my present gas / electric contract comes to an end in 4 weeks.
I cannot find anything in writing that states the supplier has any obligation to "refund" unless I stay I lose it as far as I can establish

I've checked the file on a property I left vacant a few years ago.
The only real cost on it were standing charges. Electricity use was negligible.

I ended up over €600 in credit. I changed supplier like I do every year and received the money
in my bank account within a month.

In relation to the government credit

A supplier can apply the credit to your closing bill or credit you back through the same method pay your bills.

Just so you know, if you've both gas and electricity with Bord Gais, you can transfer credit between electricity and gas accounts. You just need to contact them and it was very easy. Just going forward it might help you ensure that you use them up so you're not worrying.