Move or extend?

DHutch73

We live in a quiet cul de sac in Clarehall. We bought in 2005 and our mortgage is about €1,000 as we have a tracker. We can’t get a pay out on tracker if we sell, we tried. So we can extend to get extra room we need but wouldn’t be a huge extension. Thinking of a log cabin too for working from home. We have 4 bedroom and 3 kids so all have their own room but teens and their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language and noise getting to us. Then thinking all the investment might not be worth it as there is a ceiling of prices in the area. So other option is to move to Raheny or Artane to a bigger house but need to spend €580,000 - €600 k to get what we want. We have cash to renovate. Are we mad thinking of putting ourselves in debt in our mid 40’s? I’d like to live near a village or have a nice local.. We need to stay in general area for schools and public transport..Clarehall is ok, our neighbors are lovely and kids have friends here. But should we push ourselves now to get a better property. Can’t make my mind up.

Not sure you've provided enough information for anyone to help.
What's your outstanding mortgage? And rate?
What's the house value?
What's your household income?
Are your teens about to go to college?
Etc

. We have 4 bedroom and 3 kids so all have their own room but teens and their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language and noise getting to us.

If this is your sole reason for moving than that doesn't make any sense. It won't improve the children's behaviour etc. And teenagers will eventually be moving out. Maybe the long summer at home with the kids is affecting your thinking because I know that we had one of the worst summers ever with ours. Having a bigger house wouldn't solve that. A quiet tidy log cabin down the garden might solve things for you. Give you peace and your own space.

Not sure you've provided enough information for anyone to help.
What's your outstanding mortgage? And rate?
What's the house value?
What's your household income?
Are your teens about to go to college?
Etc

House Value 360k - at worst
Outstanding mortgage - 160 k and it’s a tracker rate so almost zero
Household income €120 k per annum
2 teens .. 4th year & 2nd year and I have 6 year old.

If this is your sole reason for moving than that doesn't make any sense. It won't improve the children's behaviour etc. And teenagers will eventually be moving out. Maybe the long summer at home with the kids is affecting your thinking because I know that we had one of the worst summers ever with ours. Having a bigger house wouldn't solve that. A quiet tidy log cabin down the garden might solve things for you. Give you peace and your own space.
When I say This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language I mean their stuff.. sports gear, guitars, amps and then the youngest’s toys, not their behaviour.

When I say This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language I mean their stuff.. sports gear, guitars, amps and then the youngest’s toys, not their behaviour.
Well moving to a new house might just mean more 'stuff'. A skip is what you need !

Back