Mortgage Protection

connorp

I know this is a common issue causing grief at mortgage time but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to his and whether the bank is correct or being unreasonable.

I have a mortage with a corresponding mortgage protection in place with different provide all well and good.

Applied for equity relase to purchase property abroad. This has been dragging for some time now and I now need the funds urgently. Originally to save time I assignment a normal level life policy to the equity release with the policy vastly exceding the equity release. I plan to get a proper policy in place once the mortgage is issue and I have some time. Originally a new polciy may not have been in place in the time I neede the cash. 2 weeks later it seems that I would have had a new policy in place with the amount of hassle with the equity relase.

Anyway now I get a call (everyday they call looking for something else) to say that the policy only runs to 2031 while the mortage runs to 2034. My arguement is that this should be sufficient. The relase was for 75K over 28 years so at 3 years to go there would be only approx 10K outstanding which with inflation would be only a small amount.

Bank refuse to give relase until I got a new policy in place until 2034 which at this stage is not possible due to the time that this will take or 2 reduce the term of the morgage to 25 years which at this stage was the only option.

While reducing the mortage term does not cause me too much hassle I just think that the Bank was arguing over a futile issue that doesn't add anything material to the contract while pisses me of greatly to the extent that I want to switch mortgage provider when things are sorted out.

If this makes sense does anyone have any view on this?

Hi Connorp

I'd agree with you, the outstanding balance after 28yrs on the top-up loan would be less than 10K and yes with taking inflation into account would be a very small amount. Although mortgage Underwriters can be very strict on this one and 10K-15K is the normal threshold. The bank really should have been alot more flexible.

Regards

[email protected]

Whilst common sense would say that the likelyhood of you a. having this mortgage with this lender (and still be in the same house!) and b. dying within the specific 2 year period leaving no savings or other life cover to repay the balance is minute unfortunately some lenders/underwriters stick like glue to "the rules". I would advise you to appeal to the highest level you can get to in the bank to point out the hassle this has caused you. You *might* get an apology........

Sarah

www.rea.ie

There is a flexibility of €10k - €15k but you can come across some asshole underwriters who will not budge on their original decision (I know i'm a broker).

You should be able to to get a new Loan offer with a reduced term within 24 hourws if you are under pressure. Then the mortgage protection should be sufficient - there is no excuse why you should not be able to! Yourself or your brokerr just have to put the boot in.

Back