Mortgage loan offer -- not applied for

8till8

I received a letter from PTSB, offering me attractive interest rates on my approved tracker rate loan of €378000 and act soon as the new lower rate can only be held until Wed 7th May.
*I never applied for a loan with PTSB
*I never banked with PTSB before

So naturally I'd like to get my hands on the money being offered, so I called the number and quoted the account number and requested the loan offer documents be sent to me again. The person confirmed my name and address as per letter and said they'd send them. But nothing has arrived and I've requested them twice now but nothing every comes.

This seems to be a computer mix up ie my details with someone elses but since I never banked with them before how did that happen (name & address details are spot on)

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

You should be very careful about this.

It could be someone trying to borrow in your name. It's unlikely to succeed but you would be better off telling them that you did not apply for a loan and ask them how they got your details.

Brendan

Would this possibly be some kiind of direct marketing where you are approved in principle subject to meeting loan requirements?

I'd recommend contacting PTSB and asking where they got your details.

Would this possibly be some kiind of direct marketing where you are approved in principle subject to meeting loan requirements?
Aren't mailings containing pre-approval for loans now illegal?

yes I believe canvassing for business by pre-approving loans are not permitted. However my letter wasn't a direct mail type, it was addressed personally and had an account number with sort code.

yes I believe canvassing for business by pre-approving loans are not permitted. However my letter wasn't a direct mail type, it was addressed personally and had an account number with sort code.

As Brendan says, this sounds like it could be an attempt at identity theft - someone using your identity. If it is, it could have consequences for you as the fraudster will presumably attempt to draw down the loan and make no repayments. It will be then be down to you to prove to PTSB that the bad credit is not yours.

I'd sort it out immediately.

Phoned PTSB: simple explaination, I used a mortgage broker 3yrs back to get a mortgage, however I went with IIB at the time but PTSB had approved the loan, hence the letter.

I agree, its very strange to keep things open for so long. Maybe with the drop in mortgage business they are writing to old applications in the hope of drumming up new business.