Mortgage Life assurance policy switch without permission - Help

Flam90

I am helping a friend to find out some information around his mortgage protection and sickness cover. He took out a mortgage in 2003 that included life assurance (mortgage protection) and sickness cover, two years later, his policies were cancelled (not by my mate), and he was provided a new single policy with a different company than the original underwriter (presumably by his bank when his original assuance policy was cancelled). The new policy matched (it seems) the assurance part of his original cover, but with no sickness. When I read the replacement policy from 2005 it looks like both assurance and sickness covers were included, becasue the policy mentions sickness and life assurance, but it seems there is only one policy. There is an insurance type swap clause called a 'conversion option' in the policy, but I am not able to get my head around that past a basic understanding that I could be getting wrong.

My mate did not cancel the original policy, and while he draws a blank at why he didn't spot the direct debit changes and differently named company taking direct debits, he is adamant he never cancelled the original policy. He said he'd an agument with his insurance underwriter's customer service in 2005, and all he can come up with is that they have cancelled his policy, and his bank have initiated a new replacement policy to cover his mortgage, but it's just a guess, and I've told him guessing is a bad idea. What's the best way to get to the bottom of this? I think it's easy (but unwise) to presume foul play on behalf of the insurance underwriter's customer service, but it's not impossible. The impact of the change in insurance from2003 to 2005 is that it negatively impacts my mate, and we need help to get this resolved. My mate feels betrayed by the whole situation, and it's only after many months of chats that he's asked for my help with proactively seeking help. The roadblock he percieves, that prevents him from starting to find out what's gone wrong, is the potential cost of hiring a solicitor or whomever to find out what happened.

I am careful what to say here, and I've ommited the names of the bank, original underwriter, new underwriter, and broker. We do desperately need help, and ALL advice is appreciated. I am happy to share more details if I am asked, but maybe in a private message. Thanks in advance for any answers recieved.

Last edited:
two years later, his policies were cancelled (not by my mate), and he was provided a new single policy with a different company than the original underwriter (presumably by his bank when his original assuance policy was cancelled).
What documentation do they have in relation to this? What does it say?
The impact of the change in insurance from2003 to 2005 is that it negatively impacts my mate
How exactly?

Ask for copies of the cancellation instruction for original policy and copy application forms for new ones.

The story doesn't make much sense to be honest, a bank/insurance company isn't going to get a new mortgage protection policy issued without an application form of some sort.

What are you calling sickness cover? Mortgage repayment protector that usually covered accident/illness/redundancy or something similar that was included in the actual mortgage protection/life cover bit? Or do you mean critical illness cover added to the life cover aspect of the original policy?

There is an insurance type swap clause called a 'conversion option' in the policy, but I am not able to get my head around that past a basic understanding that I could be getting wrong.
Maybe this relates to convertible term life insurance where there is the option to continue the policy after the lifetime of the related mortgage as a standalone life insurance policy with maybe not having to do a medical etc.? E.g.:

Sorry for not being clear, but I don't work in the insurance industry, so the info I have provided is as best as I understand it. When he purchased the mortgage the mortgage was arrnegd via a broker, financed by a bank and there was mortgage protection, and it was for the full value of the mortgage and was called Life Cover. He had a Specified Illness cover on the same policy.

Back