More frequency of N Ire Reg cars

That's exactly what it is!

The more people evade tax of whatever kind the more the rest of us have to pay.

funny that. I was under the impression, especially since the election was called that the exchequer was awash with cash. cynical old sod that I am I happen to believe that if the government collected more taxes ie charging vrt on all the norn iron reg cars it would not make the slightest bit of difference in the amount of tax I have to pay.
only at election times do I hear of any largesse on behalf of all the parties, every other budget we're lucky if the tax bands/credits keep pace with inflation.

only at election times do I hear of any largesse on behalf of all the parties, every other budget we're lucky if the tax bands/credits keep pace with inflation.
Disgusting isn't it! I was out of the country for a few years circa the last election, but would i be right in thinking that there were all sorts of public spending committments entered into pre-election by the incumbents, which were then rowed back upon immediately post-election?
The more people evade tax of whatever kind the more the rest of us have to pay.
Maybe people should think of that when they say that Bertie's loans and various other bizarre transactions were harmless, God knows the exchequer was hardly awash with cash back then!!

I was out of the country for a few years circa the last election, but would i be right in thinking that there were all sorts of public spending committments entered into pre-election by the incumbents, which were then rowed back upon immediately post-election?
Ah be fair - They didn't row back immediately. They just kind-of forgot about the 'no hospital waiting lists within 2 years' and the 'pupil-teacher ratio of 20:1' committments.

Ah be fair - They didn't row back immediately. They just kind-of forgot about the 'no hospital waiting lists within 2 years' and the 'pupil-teacher ratio of 20:1' committments.

The Minister for Education and Science, Deputy Hanafin, described the programme for Government as a noble aspiration? on Ursula Halligan?s television programme, which I saw.
[broken link removed]

Ah, now, you see, they weren't actually committments or promises, they were, altogether now class........ aspirations!!

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed a much higher frequency of sigtings of NI or UK reg cars in and around Dublin. Could it be a VRT dodge issue?

To those, you can also add an increase in PL, LV, & LT registered car...
They are hardly all on holidays or commuting from Poland, Latvia/Lituania to go to work :mad:.

Beside the fact that VRT is being evaded, i question the insurance cover that these guys have...

unless I am mistaken I think a Latvian national got 10 months last week for driving and uninsured, untaxed, unsafe car through the barrier on the m50 and killing a young woman driving in the opposite direction. 10 months seems light but probably par for the course nowadays. heard some father on matt cooper last night and he lost his daughter too and the driver of an uninsured, untaxed car got 2 months. VRT is only the tip of the iceberg. insurance and NCT and implementation of the laws on drunk driving/penalty points are far more important. dont want to make it sound like a witch hunt but I suspect there's an awful lot of cars on the road which would be due an nct if they were re-registered here. not worried about the vrt bit, as its probably illegal tax under eu rules anyway.

unless I am mistaken I think a Latvian national got 10 months last week for driving and uninsured, untaxed, unsafe car through the barrier on the m50 and killing a young woman driving in the opposite direction. 10 months seems light but probably par for the course nowadays. heard some father on matt cooper last night and he lost his daughter too and the driver of an uninsured, untaxed car got 2 months. VRT is only the tip of the iceberg. insurance and NCT and implementation of the laws on drunk driving/penalty points are far more important. dont want to make it sound like a witch hunt but I suspect there's an awful lot of cars on the road which would be due an nct if they were re-registered here. not worried about the vrt bit, as its probably illegal tax under eu rules anyway.

All true, but we shouldn't forget there's plenty of dodgy cars with no current NCT or proper insurance wearing Irish plates too.

heard that full interview this morning. this mans daughter was crossing the road at a proper road crossing. one car stopped. the other car drove through and hit his daughter. didn't stop. car found burnt out later that evening, however one of the other girls got the reg. Garda caught her in Dundalk a week later. No tax, no insurance, no driving licence, drove through a pedestrian crossing at twice the speed limit. and was charged with 'careless' driving.
as I said earler VRT is only the tip of the iceberg.
also heard Conor Faughnan of the AA on the radio saying that Denmark has exempted ABS and some new safety device from tax on new cars in the interest of safety. as a result 80% of new cars in Denmark have this new safety feature installed. only in the more expensive cars in Ireland and the government is opposed to relaxation on vrt and tax etc on this safety device.
No surprise there then.

VRT probably not an issue for PL, LT, LV cars. If owner purchased car at least 6 months before coming to Ireland, then it is VRT exempt. Though he should still reregister car onto IRL plates if he plans on staying for over 6 months or a year (forget which).

Insurance more likely to be issue. Hope I never crash into foreign reg car.

Persius said:
Insurance more likely to be issue. Hope I never crash into foreign reg car.
Actually it's no big deal. You claim of the MIBI who in turn claim from the MIBI equiv in the foreign country who in turn claim from the car owners insurance if they have any. If he doesn't have any insurance it's a matter for the foreign insurnace bureau to deal with, you get paid from the govt here regardless. The MIBI are much quicker at dealing with claims than most Irish insurance companies.

so are you telling us that if we are in an accident with a non national we hope he/she is uninsured? odd logic but nothing surprises me anymore.

Back