Mobile phone plan for Roaming (worldwide)

bottle

Hi, I have a Vodafone bill pay phone and am going travelling for a year. I will use local SIM cards in most countries. What is the best / most efficient way of holding onto my Irish mobile number?

Also, has anyone used e-sims?

What is the best / most efficient way of holding onto my Irish mobile number?
Keep the Vodafone bill pay account active?
But that may be costly?

Or transfer the number to a low cost pay as you go provider and just pay the bare minimum to keep the number active.
For example if you transferred the number to 48 you can buy your first membership for €6.50 (offer available for another 8 days) and then another one on month 7 for €12.99 and the number will still be active when you return in month 13.
Similar strategies are probably possible with other low cost providers but I'm just most familiar with 48.
I will use local SIM cards in most countries.
If your phone is locked to Vodafone then you'll probably need to get it unlocked before you can use another provider's SIM/eSIM in it.

Hi

I was in Australia and Bali this summer and I used esim for data, very straightforward to do and it worked out really good value. I didn't use it for normal calls or SMSs, but it was perfect for WhatsApp calls.

There are different providers, some work out cheaper depending on where you are travelling.

Most esims have a daily data limit, so try to use the wifi when you can, to keep the usage down.

Best of luck and enjoy the travels
Also, has anyone used e-sims?

We used a Vodafone nanoSim in Australia, which we bought in the airport on arrival, and Vodafone will set it up for you. As pointed out your phone needs to be unlocked. The benefit of a physical SIM is you get an Australian phone number, which can be handy if you envisage making local calls to relatives, etc. We used it mainly for mobile data for Google Maps. Note coverage can be sparse in rural areas, which is where you most likely need Maps.

In Taiwan we used a Xie Xie 謝謝 eSIM from Airalo. It provided data only. Local and regional eSIMs for travellers - Airalo . We bought this over the net the day before we arrived. Again, no problems and the eSmi set-up worked automatically and perfectly. We used this for Maps and translations. Again no problems. I would recommend this product.

Hi

I was in Australia and Bali this summer and I used esim for data, very straightforward to do and it worked out really good value. I didn't use it for normal calls or SMSs, but it was perfect for WhatsApp calls.

About e-sims, is it possible to get one to work in Ireland?...
if so, which provider would you recommend?.
If the phone is locked to a provider, do e-sims work?
Thanks,

I think that Vodafone are still the only Irish carrier to offer eSIMs?
An eSIM will only work if it's from the carrier to which the phone is locked or if the phone is unlocked for use on any network. Same as a physical SIM.

Last edited:
Back