Mobile Phone Costs - Higher than EU AVG.

We rank 9th in the EU, just above the average. Considering how much we pay ourselves, and therefore how expensive things are, I am pleasantly surprised.

There was a guy on the radio from Comreg this morning advising people to shop around.

Brilliant !

There was a guy on Newstalk yesterday, talking about the Dublin Bus strike, advising affected commuters to avail of the Bike to Work scheme.

Like the Talking Head song says ".. you're talking a lot but you're not saying anything. When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed ..".

People on PAYG may be paying 35 cent per minute plus 9 cent per call.

Calling mobiles from landlines is another rip off.

Hmmmm, I think we have to have some scepticism about this. For starters, the report (as far as I can see) is from 2011. A lot has changed in the mobile market since then, a heck of a lot, and I wonder if a straightforward price comparisson is that reasonable.

We've no idea of the market in Lithuania, other than it is cheaper there. But then here, like elsewhere in the EU the market has moved away from calls and sms to cellular data useage. In order to compete on data, data costs have come down, but call costs go up. Is that the same in Lithuania? Or is the phone market competition there based on making calls?

The article doesn't mention if its based on Pay As You Go or contract or an average of the two. It doesn't mention if the cost takes into account free call bundles (which have changed considerably since 2011) or the cost of a call once you've gone over your free minutes. It doesn't tell us if the cost average is based on the cost of the phone being taken into account in contracts etc.

In fact it tells us sweet FA, it doesn't even link to the report itself, but it's the silly season and the media needs to get us wound up about something.

In fact it tells us sweet FA, it doesn't even link to the report itself, but it's the silly season and the media needs to get us wound up about something.

Really poor article bordering on what was the point of it?The type of article you could easily imagine Homer Simpson writing.

Really poor article bordering on what was the point of it?The type of article you could easily imagine Homer Simpson writing.

Not to defend the indo, but it looks more like a Press Release from the EU that they've just cut and paste. The EU is taking on the phone companies, which is good for us to an extent, but this seems more like a warning shot than anything substantial.

Not to defend the indo, but it looks more like a Press Release from the EU that they've just cut and paste.

Yes you are correct,same useless article in the Irish Times,they have a graph though in colour also illustrating nothing really.

I find it hard to take EU initiatives like this seriously.

The EU are trying to prove their worth to the average EU citizen via concentrating on high profile but ultimately trivial or avoidable costs.

They seem to have zero business sense and don't understand that if an avoidable high cost is reduced then somewhere along the line either something else will increase or the share price of those companies is reduced so ordinary workers suffer in their pensions.

If the EU wants to get more support, they can chase after the high costs of taxes across the EU. Go after the unavoidable stuff costing us tens of thousands a year than the few euros we can avoid with a bit of research.