michael owen

That's not the comparison - its about a supporter's perspective perhaps naively expecting loyalty from players who are essentially mercenary in their outlook.

Speaking personally, I was always very mercenary about selling my services to any employer!

I think the particular problem people see at the moment with Michael Owen is that he went to Newcastle and spent a huge amount of time injured, continued to draw down his 110k per week, refused to move to the NE (thereby not showing commitment) and traveled every day by helicopter from Cheshire, then when the team were relegated, he jumped.
He's moving for his own benefit of course and showed absolutely zero loyalty to a club that gave him more than enough in four years. His move to Utd is in order to get himself into position for an England place again.

In this day and age with football i suppose yes, its perfectly normal for a player to do this and money and playing on the biggest stage is the main goal for a player. I accept that and i understand that but tell you what, go and look on some of the NUFC forums - he's a marked man if he ever set foot up there again.

Maybe fans are just delusional - as a football fan you believe that the players think the same way as you do - they don't - and when it materializes like it just has with Owen, fans feel cheated.

Apparently when he arrived at United he gave the secretary a pinch and asked her what she was doing later. She replied .. Oooh your a little forward.:D

I think the particular problem people see at the moment with Michael Owen is that he went to Newcastle and spent a huge amount of time injured, continued to draw down his 110k per week, refused to move to the NE (thereby not showing commitment) and traveled every day by helicopter from Cheshire, then when the team were relegated, he jumped.
He's moving for his own benefit of course and showed absolutely zero loyalty to a club that gave him more than enough in four years. His move to Utd is in order to get himself into position for an England place again.

In this day and age with football i suppose yes, its perfectly normal for a player to do this and money and playing on the biggest stage is the main goal for a player. I accept that and i understand that but tell you what, go and look on some of the NUFC forums - he's a marked man if he ever set foot up there again.

Maybe fans are just delusional - as a football fan you believe that the players think the same way as you do - they don't - and when it materializes like it just has with Owen, fans feel cheated.

His contract stated his weekly pay injured or not. Newcastle for some reason or another have consistently had a bad record with injuries, maybe they should look at their facilities, training, staff etc.
He travelled every day by helicopter, it's extravagent but no less effective than arriving by car.
He jumped ship and will be in good company in doing so. They are a club who currently have no manager, ended the season with a temp and have been up for sale for over a year, not exactly the club he was sold from Madrid. Couple that with the fact that the fans want Shearer to take on full time manager job regardless of losing 7 out of 8 matches in charge and the future does not look bright for NUFC.
His move to United is as you alluded to, to better himself.
At this stage nothing should surprise fans, but when Utd came in for him did anyone think for one second that it was not the best possible move for him?
NUFC was a very bad career move for him and he will be glad it's over and he has a chance to make it at the top again, I hope it works out for him.

Never ever mention his name to me again. Since he left the 'Pool, I know he's struggled with injuries and fitness, but to join the prawn sandwich crowd is inexcusable.

The mobile networks are blue all night between our circle of pals ('Pool heads). The greatest disappointment seems to be about all the houses he has bought in Prawn Sandwich Land for his family - half a street of them according to UTV news tonight - as if the move was pre-arranged some time ago.

I only recognised one name in Lex Foutish's off-topic ramble - I know Fergie is some kind of big-assed minor Brit royal who writes kids books about helicopters, but who are Leeds, Gordon McQueen and Alan Smith and what is League One for God's sake? :rolleyes:

Fair play, Mathepac!!! :D

I'm glad I didn't include the bit about Fergie having balls in the way some primadonnas were dealt with at the club.

I can only imagine how confused you'd be then! ;)

Back