Michael Noonan and Hoodies

TarfHead said:
But when I saw him on The Panel wearing a Von Dutch truckers cap, I thought he was trying too hard to establish/maintain his chav cred ?
Von Dutch and Burberry have lost their cred now, I believe - too many middle-class kids running around in them!
[broken link removed]

DrMoriarty said:
Von Dutch and Burberry have lost their cred ..

And Juicy Couture too. Must be a 'mare for any company when the, eh, demographic you would not hope for adopt your product as their uniform.

Judging by the minority of wannabe football casuals/hooligans at eircom League games, Burberry caps (along with Armani Jeans, Stone Island jumpers/jackets, CP Company jackets, Paul & Shark, Aquascutum etc.) are still standard Chav fashions... A real case of all fur coat and no knickers given the cost of this gear and how much like skangers the wearers still manage to look. :rolleyes:

ronan_d_john said:
Did you forget to leave out a smiley face there or something. I'm hoping you're not serious with that comment.

I'm looking around me now. About 100 people and not one hoodie. Then again, I'm not living in Limerick with Michael Noonan.

I work in Limerick and yes hoodies seem to be the uniform of choice here, but in my opinion it is not just Limerick, hoodies and sports gear are everywhere you look......

I personaly don't like them as they remind me of my student days when I lived in the damn things.

ClubMan said:
I thought you said that hats/caps didn't make identification difficult! :D

Normally they don't but Rashers has pulled down so much that you can't see his eyes, why am I responding to this?

Without arguing the finer points of how the wearing of headgear can disguise one's identity I think a substantive point was made by Michael Noonan, but as usual the point is being lost in a mire of semanticism.

Carpenter said:
Without arguing the finer points of how the wearing of headgear can disguise one's identity I think a substantive point was made by Michael Noonan, but as usual the point is being lost in a mire of semanticism.

A substantive point maybe, of which I have no problem myself.

However, I don't think that it's semantics to be discussing the point that it is discriminatory on Michael Noonans part to be highlighting just hoodies and not all headgear.

ClubMan said:
As it happens she doesn't need anybody's vote in order to [broken link removed] a position of power.

I know shes in the Seanad (something i'm thinking of adding to the above list)... she just does'nt get the point - the majority of the people (registered voters) in Westmeath did'nt vote for her - and with good reason... heres a brief "rap sheet" for her:

• Refusal to give even verbal approval to the proposed National Transport Museum in Mullingar (something that would have boosted tourism hugely, revitalised a disused train line, and already had backing from other important stakeholders)
  • Concentrating on appeasing her local supporters in Athlone with little goodies (backing industry to locate there, promotion of the industrial park etc.) whilst ignoring Athlones (far superior) :D) neighbour Mullingar
  • Blaming a political comrade (Donie Cassidy) for her failure to secure a seat.
  • Not shutting her gob

NB: The above reflects CGormans [strong] opinions about why Mary O'Rourke is a [INSERT EXPLETIVE] and why his home town of Mullingar is vastly superior to the kip next door to it [not mentioning any names... Athlone...]

CGorman said:
I know shes in the Seanad (something i'm thinking of adding to the above list)... she just does'nt get the point - the majority of the people (registered voters) in Westmeath did'nt vote for her - and with good reason... heres a brief "rap sheet" for her:
  • Refusal to give even verbal approval to the proposed National Transport Museum in Mullingar (something that would have boosted tourism hugely, revitalised a disused train line, and already had backing from other important stakeholders)
  • Concentrating on appeasing her local supporters in Athlone with little goodies (backing industry to locate there, promotion of the industrial park etc.) whilst ignoring Athlones (far superior) :D) neighbour Mullingar
  • Blaming a political comrade (Donie Cassidy) for her failure to secure a seat.
  • Not shutting her gob
NB: The above reflects CGormans [strong] opinions about why Mary O'Rourke is a [INSERT EXPLETIVE] and why his home town of Mullingar is vastly superior to the kip next door to it [not mentioning any names... Athlone...]

Athlone/Mullingar... who really cares? Both places that are bypassed on the way to proper places on either east or west coast.

CGorman said:
I'm not going to get the 600 points i've always dreamed of... i'll settle for 595!

CGorman said:
just does'nt get the point - the majority of the people (registered voters) in Westmeath did'nt vote for her

Mate
If the Leaving Cert examiners dock marks for punctuation, you might get less than 595 ;) .

does not = doesn't
did not = didn't

Yours faithfully

The Pedantic One

TarfHead said:
Mate
If the Leaving Cert examiners dock marks for punctuation, you might get less than 595 ;) .

does not = doesn't
did not = didn't

Yours faithfully

The Pedantic One
Come on, if you're going to nitpick, do a thorough job. You missed out on the lack of capitalisation of i've and i'll. :)

Actually, both of your own posts are inadequately punctuated (and missed out on 'CGorman's [strong] opinions'...) :p

Anyway, Leaving Cert examiners are only (double-jobbing) teachers, and in my experience most of them cudnt give a toss about speling and dat kinda stuff...

[Dr Moriarty ducks for cover... :D ]

CGorman said:
I know shes in the Seanad (something i'm thinking of adding to the above list)... she just does'nt get the point - the majority of the people (registered voters) in Westmeath did'nt vote for her - and with good reason... heres a brief "rap sheet" for her
Nobody voted for her. She was appointed by Bertie. Election of senators really should be by all of the people and not just by vested interests or political appointments. Otherwise they should abolish the upper house as it's completely anti-democratic. My alma mater of DCU (neé NIHED) has some gall in unilaterally purporting to represent the views of its alumni, staff and students in calling for the extension of the franchise to the "new" universities instead of doing the decent thing and calling for a universal franchise in this context. :mad:

Agreed. As a(n?) NUI 'grad', I enjoy (postally) voting each time for the most off-the-wall, anti-establishment name on the list — not easily found, I'll grant you! :rolleyes: — but from a democratic point of view it's a complete farce.

ClubMan said:
Nobody voted for her. She was appointed by Bertie. Election of senators really should be by all of the people and not just by vested interests or policitcal appointments. Otherwise they should abolish the upper house as it's completely anti-democratic. My alma mater of DCU (neé NIHED) has some gall in unilaterally purporting to represent the views of its alumni, staff and students in calling for the extension of the franchise to the "new" universities instead of doing the decent thing and calling for a universal franchise in this context. :mad:

Did anyone check out the original campaign by Senator Shane Ross, one of the beneficiaries of this Seanad voting mentioned above?

When you registered your support for the Westlink Action Group (I was curious, I don't believe in their aims), one of the questions you were asked, as well as your name and address, was whether or not you were qualified to vote in whichever aspect of the Seanad elections upon which he depends.

Bit rich I thought. No wonder I haven't heard from him since, not being of sufficient educational background to be of any use to him :)

I always suspected that Shane Ross was a bit of a WAG alright. :) But to be fair to him he once took an unsolicited call from my mother who was having problems with dealing with some eircom/Vodafone shares after my father's death a few years back and he was very nice and helpful to her in advising her how to sort it out. I think she called him around the time he was harping on about the whole eircom saga. So he's go my vote if I ever get one anyway (joke!). :D

TarfHead said:
If the Leaving Cert examiners dock marks for punctuation, you might get less than 595

I hate to use it as an excuse (because I have overcome it in general) but I am a dyslexic who could'nt read the most basic things until late Primary School... infact the authorities mistakenly put me in a remedial class for a year! I went on (thanks to a wonderful tutor) to get an A in JC English. I have applied for the spelling exemption from the leaving cert but I doubt I'll get it... in my opinion I don't deserve it. My written essays generally have less than one sp error per two pages... it is just that when I'm online, I throw the rules out the window because... thats just the way it is - same with txt msgs.

BTW: 595 points is a joke TarfHead... i'd be delighted to get over 400!

Back