Mice in the house

hfp

Frequent Poster
Messages
146
I'd be slow to use poison in the house. Mouse eats poison - mouse goes off to die somewhere within house - mouse stinks out the house as it decays.
Agreed. Learnt that one from experience, under my bed, behind the fridge, in the floor boards....

Traps that kill them instantly are the way to go, leave them where you've seen evidence of the mice.

Glue traps are very effective, but incredibly cruel, and you need to have a strong stomach to clear them :(
 

NoRegretsCoyote

Frequent Poster
Messages
868
I'd be slow to use poison in the house. Mouse eats poison - mouse goes off to die somewhere within house - mouse stinks out the house as it decays.
A 20g field mouse will not stink out an entire house. You may get a weak odour but not for long.

I've tested traps v poison on three occasions and poison wins ever time. Make sure to place them in attic and also in a sheltered area outside and near where you think they are gaining access.
 

PaddyBloggit

Frequent Poster
Messages
3,354
A 20g field mouse will not stink out an entire house. You may get a weak odour but not for long.
out the house may have been a bit of an over statement but the smell will be within the area where the mouse has had his/her/their final hurrah. If they decide to throw off their mortal coils in an inaccessible place, then the odour will be noticeable.

For me, traps are the way to go - they are also quick and more humane. We were given 'American' traps one time - real sticky solution and the poor mouse had an awful end. Needless to say, the other sticky traps were destroyed.
 

dublinwoman

Registered User
Messages
7
Thanks a mil for taking the time to reply and for all the great tips, really appreciate it. I put some traps in the kitchen but got nothing. I can hear noise in the wall in the sitting room so I will have to put some traps in the attic. I got a roofer in and he sealed up some holes in the attic which I hope will make a difference
 

Tixerb_2

New Member
Messages
2
Traps with chocolate spread or peanut butter as bait. Place them in the dark recesses of the rooms affected - not out in the open. Buy the cheap traps. When they're successful you can throw the trap and contents away rather than freaking out about removing the carcass from the trap! Rinse & repeat.
 

Black Sheep

Frequent Poster
Messages
2,195
Terrified of mice (I know it's silly) so I bought one of those gadgets that you plug in and have never heard a scratch since. That was many years ago. By the way it is an industrial mouser, domestic one - useless!
 

Leo

Moderator
Messages
10,366
Terrified of mice (I know it's silly) so I bought one of those gadgets that you plug in and have never heard a scratch since.
The evidence suggests mice may be initially put off by these just due to a change in their environment. but quickly get used to them. Occasionally turning them on is likely far more effective than leaving them on all the time.
 

dublinwoman

Registered User
Messages
7
Terrified of mice (I know it's silly) so I bought one of those gadgets that you plug in and have never heard a scratch since. That was many years ago. By the way it is an industrial mouser, domestic one - useless!
Im the same, terrified of mice
 

notabene

Frequent Poster
Messages
354
Thanks a mil for all the tips, much appreciated. I am always very calm in situations but at the moment I am looking after two family members who are ill so its nice to go home and relax so its just bad timing as I am very stressed. I have Poison down but will also buy some traps tomorrow. Will have to get someone in to check the house so I dont miss anything. Want to seal up the house as much as I can
They like rasher rinds too and if you lay the trap on some newspaper you can wrap it all up with a less messy clean up
 

Leo

Moderator
Messages
10,366
I have 2 plugged in and have ordered another 2. I want one in every room
You know that's pointless, right? If you're going to use ultrasonic devices, you need to make sure they are not on all the time, but for short periods and close to where they are already active. Mice aren't too bothered by ultrasonics, it's the change in the environment that temporarily scares them. So the constant presence of these devices won't put them off entering your house. If you already have mice, a sudden change in the environment with a lot of ultrasonic noise might scare them off.

Most objective studies show these devices having no long term effect on rodents, but some have pointed to disturbance to the human occupants particularly on devices that also emitted some sound in the audible spectrum,
 

noproblem

Frequent Poster
Messages
1,851
Why not try and tame them? They make wonderful pets, don't eat a lot, are very clean and will give you endless pleasure, hundreds of little mouses and mouse grand and great grandchildren. Just leave nice sweet bits of sugar, breadcrumbs, and left overs all over the house, ideally leading to where you just bunk down for some me time and they'll read your mind, come in beside you, snuggle up in your warm cotton clothes and undies, then before you know it you're stroking them and napping right beside them without even realising they're there at all. Everybody wins and the next generation will get to understand us better and we them. Win Win and no expense or smells to bother with. Also the added bonus of getting rid of that friend who comes for a quick coffee but forgets to go, you'll find the biscuits and nice cake will last longer too as the v isitors won't be too bothered with the ginger nus or apple tarts, etc. :)
 
Last edited:
Top