Meteor: Faulty mobile phone

M

markdregan

I recently purchased a mobile phone from Meteor. Within days the phone became faulty. The keys would randomly dial during phone calls.

I returned the phone to meteor. They acknowledged that this problem was very common with this particular model. They gave me a new phone of the same model.

The new phone became faulty after several days. The same problem once again.

I was very annoyed as this caused much inconvenience.

I requested a refund as I was not prepared to get a 3rd replacement that may be faulty.

Meteor refused to give me the refund as I did not have the box in which the phone came in. I had thrown the box out when I initially bought it. I have all the contents of the box including charger.

Question: Am I entitled to a refund even if I do not have the box?

What is the "product" in question? Is it the phone (and charger) or is it the box and contents?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards,
Mark

As far as I know it is the shop that initially decides which of the 3 "r's" they give you. As markdregan has already got one phone replaced and it is still faulty I think he now has the right to refuse the replacement and ask for a refund.

I have no idea if the shop can refuse because he hasn't got the box it came in. My own personal feeling is that it shouldn't matter as if the phone is faulty it can't (shouldn't) be restocked which is usually the reason the shop want the box back.

...I returned the phone to meteor. They acknowledged that this problem was very common with this particular model...
Therefore, by their own admission, any further replacement with the same model phone is likely do display similar problems.
...What is the "product" in question? Is it the phone (and charger) or is it the box and contents?...
IMO, the product is the phone, the charger, the cables, the manual(s), the CD, the SIM card (if not a bill phone), the accessories in the box.

Neither the box, the plastic bags, the plastic twisty things, the dividers in the box are part of the product you paid for. In Germany, you are entitled to or obliged to return this stuff to the outlet you purchased from in order to have them recycle it.

At this stage I believe you are entitled to a refund.

Indefinite about , I too have the similar prblem. Did recycling is only solution? Any personal experience?

I had the same problem with meteor. Same phone twice and they refused me a refund and I did have the box. Meteor are a great network to deal with but a nightmare if you have phone problems. I have had 3 phones on my last contract and in the end had to buy a prepay phone to last me until my next upgrade. I am not entitled to a free upgrade and am a bit scared to take it because of the problems I had last time.

Contact their customer care line on 1905. The general rule for shops like that is if the customer is back 3 times and has had the phone repaired/replaced they do anyhting to get rid of you. There is some truth in what they are saying in relation to the box. That is how it was sold to you and it should be returned in the same condition. If it's a new phone your after why not go for the next model up and pay the difference?