Memory Foam mattresses - any good ?

Memory Foam Mattress delivered on Friday very strange sensation initially like sleeping on bread dough. Not sure weather I like it or not cost €800. It feels quite warm when it’s beneath you. My wife loves her electric blanket and would be devastated if she could not use one with this mattress. Dose anyone know why you cannot use an electric blanket with it?

Plus can you really get it on Med 1 form ? Is it just the Tempur range or any Memory foam Mattress that you can get on the Med 1.

Memory foam reacts to body tempature so if you increase the tempature with an electric blanket, it won't provide the correct support.

Richard

Kenan,

To claim on Med 1 di dyou have to have a recommendation from a doctor or something? I bought a Tempur mattress earlier this year and it never even dawned on me that it might be possible to make such a claim.

Hi there,

I didn't have any recommendation from a doctor but when the matress arrived and had a medical device assignment associated with it I decided to chance it with the Med 1. A couple of month later my tax refund cheque arrived back with no questions asked.

Kenan.

We bought a Kaymed for about 900 euros as DH has a back problem and this was recommended. We didn't like it at all! I hate the sensation and prefer a cooler bed. DH got orthotics and it solved his problem. He is convinced the feet are the answer to most of back problems.

Hi
Just wondering how does 1 claim relief with the visco matress & how much can you claim ie. is it the tax paid or the overall amount?
Thanks

Hi Kenan,
Just wondering is it only the Tempur range that is considered a medical device. I was considering buying the KayMed matress also available in Arnott's- Tempur looks much better, albeit it more expensive!!

A friend of mine told me Tempur got in before anyone else and got it accepted as a medical device.It was a new concept at the time. Now that other manufacturers have similar products they are being refused medical devise status but Tempur have retained their status much to the annoyance of their competitors.

We bought two with 60mm memory foam earlier this year. They are last word in comfort but they stink. Some say smell is fusty, some say it is chemical, I thought it was the drains until I pulled up floor to check and found all ok.
We stripped beds and left mattresses on edge with open window in summer, made no difference. Came back from 2wks hol and house was reeking. Retailer very helpful, agrees they stink, changed them on Friday Sep 29 but after 3 days replacements little better.
We are not sure that we shall keep them much as we like the comfort. Has anyone else this problem?

We bought two with 60mm memory foam earlier this year. They are last word in comfort but they stink. Some say smell is fusty, some say it is chemical, I thought it was the drains until I pulled up floor to check and found all ok.
We stripped beds and left mattresses on edge with open window in summer, made no difference. Came back from 2wks hol and house was reeking. Retailer very helpful, agrees they stink, changed them on Friday Sep 29 but after 3 days replacements little better.
We are not sure that we shall keep them much as we like the comfort. Has anyone else this problem?
Hi i never had problems with my memory foam being smelly,got mine from the net trough a u.k company the quality is a.1 and you can remove the cover from the mattress and wash it, we shoped around before we bought, and like everything else found you,ll pay a lot of money for hyped up products,we paid 700 euros and belive it or not have not have not come accross the same quality elsewhere. Check out www.hyderint.com They also have a great range of kids bunks.

Hi Four One, and welcome to AAM! As a precaution, can you confirm that you have no interest in that company other than as a satisfied customer?
Thanks,
Leo

Hello Richard
They are Kaymed Visco 1600 and we paid £550 (abt €780) each. I'd stress again that they are really comfortable but the smell is very unpleasant. Makers say that mattresses "may emit a characteristic synthetic odour when first removed from polythene wrapping" and suggest customers leave them to air for a few hours. We gave them a few months and they were just as bad.

Kaymed are a good brand.

Can you tell me if the mattress is on a slatted base or on a divan base.
The reason is that some brands need air to circulate underneath the mattress to keep it fresh.

They are on Kaymed divan base, we bought as unit. We did try stripping beds and leaving mattress on edge for days to expose both sides with windows open in summer, made no detectable difference. After 3mths, we left room closed up for two hours before Norman the retailer arrived, he took one whiff and backed out of the room!
He suggested that on occasion too much fire retardant might be sprayed on foam, giving excess fumes. My brother, who works in plastics industry, says that recycled plastics can produce offensive smells.
Good news is that we stripped the replacement beds this am after six days the smell doesn't seem too bad. We live in hope ...

I would agree with need for ventilation but surely if it was necessary Kaymed would have built it into their own divan base?
I think this smell comes from memory foam on top of mattress only. Leaving mattress on edge to air both sides for weeks (literally) made no difference.
Our new mattresses still smell after a week but not as bad as others after many months. We shall probably keep them rather than face all the hassle of finding new beds but my advice to anyone buying memory foam is to be prepared for an annoying smell for a very long time.
In fairness they are VERY comfortable!

anyone know who else in dublin / ireland sells tempur mattresses - other than arnotts?

I have had a back problem for many years. I had to buy a new bed recently. I tested these "Memory foam matresses" in store. I was not impressed. They offered no support and I found them very uncomfortable. In the end I went for a good old "firm" orthopaedic mattress. It's great. This "memory foam" idea seems to be a fad. Just my opinion.

Back