Memory Foam mattresses - any good ?

gianni

Hello all!

Has anyone any experience of memory foam matresses ? I was in a showroom at the weekend and was shown one by the sales person. I had never heard of them before! I lay down on it and it was v. comfy so I am thinking of purchasing one.

But I would like to know if anyone has actually bought and used one. I'm worried that the matress would lose it's 'memory' after a period of time and I would be left with a saggy mass of foam!

All responses welcome - except wisecracks about amnesia! :D

Re: Memory Foam matresses - any good ?

I have one of these for about a year. It's absolutely amazing and definitely worth the money.

We have a superking sleep impression by kmed (king koil) for about 4/5 years - would'nt part with it for the world. Still like the day we bought it. Best investment yet!

Hmm, am interested in this subject too. Can anyone recommend Dublin area retailers where we could try these out?

Memory foam are just great, but you do get what you pay for, it's better to spend a bit more and get the best quality you can afford. I got a Tempur mattress from Arnotts. There's a very deluxe 'Tempur room' in Arnotts - the mattress moves, there's a video and special low lighting effects.... The 25mm depth is usually sufficient unless you are very heavy.

Hi,

a friend has one of these mattresses, and after a few month of use has found that it is getting progressively softer. He is so unhappy with it, he is considering returning it to the shop.
(He had also bought two more the same for other beds in his house, and they seem to be still firm, so maybe its just a fault with his particular mattress).

I bought the 'starter model' in the Keymed range and it started to sink. The shop advised me to buy a more expensive one as the quality is better (I know people will say ' of course they would tell you that') but seems as the memory foam mattresses are quite new to the market - they are not yet 'perfected'. Your friend should definitely bring it back to the shop - I'm sure it has at least one year guarantee?

We got one from the Back Shop in Dublin and its worth every penny

I heard that these were being taken off the market. Can't remember reason why but at the time we were hoping to buy one and didn't. Anyone else hear of this??

Only problem with memory foam is that it is a little bit hot in the summer to sleep on. As far as branding is concerned Tempur is the top name and top price.They spend a fortune advertising.Definately not worth it. Kmed is also expensive.Lots of other brands out there. Suggest minimum of 40mm memory foam to be effective.

We have a tempur mattress and pillows and they are really comfy - husband's backache has disappeared. One downside is that you can't use an electric blanket or hot water bottle so it's not great if you like getting into a toasty bed. And col is right, it can be a bit hot in summer.

We're in the middle of trying to decide on what sort of matress to buy also and we were thinking of a memory foam also. has anyone heard of one called CoolMax. It's 549euro for a 5ft and you get a 12 yr guarantee.Just wondering if that's a cheap price or what.Can't look in Arnotts as i'm living in Cork

Does the foam react to heat ?

Don't know the exact spec about using heated blanket / hot water bootle but, You certainly don't need a heavy duvet. I use a 6 tog rating and just an extra blanket in the winter. much nicer than having heavy duvets, IMO.

:) Thanks for all the feedback on this.

I have just bought the Visco one... €569 for 5ft... will give it a good road test and report back!

Hi there,

Must admit I did "invest" in a Tempur matress.... It's actually classified as a medical device so I got tax back through the Med 1 form. This softened the blow on the credit card. I love my Tempur. Did have back ache with old mattress...it has disappeared with the Tempur. I don't think it will cure chronic back ache but may ease it.

Kenan.

Back