Med 1 Form - Special dietary requirements

sheena1

I think I heard somewhere that medical expense for coeliacs can be reclaimed through the med1 form. My qustion is whether it is only the food that you can get through your pharmicist that can be re-claimed. My pharmacy does not stock a great range and is much more expensive than my local health food shop and supermarket. Can I produce these receipts for the med1 form? Any advice welcomed...??

I think you'd need to contact Revenue for clarification of this comment on the MED1 form:
Consumable products - Relief can be claimed for the costs incurred on products manufactured specifically for
coeliacs and others with special dietary needs where this expenditure is incurred on the advice of a medical practitioner.

i'm fairly certain (from info received from coeliacs who work in revenue) that you can claim for all food no matter where purchased. you will have to keep receipts on the very very very slim chance your MED1 would be audited, but i think you'd be fine. remember you can also claim for 4 back years, i think a guesstimate would work fine as in all reality there is no chance you would be audited.

Superquinn used to provide Coeliacs with an account of all they spent on Gluten-free food at the end of each year. I presume you have to be in the superclub to get this and you'd need to check that they still provide this service.

Back