McCreevy "The mistake is to try to spend [money] when you haven't got it."

That's true but because we were so heavily exposed to construction, financed by cheap money, we suffered more than most. The fact that we had seen a decade of massive increases in public spending, the vast majority of which was in wage increases, meant that the impact lasted much longer than it should have. The banking/ financial crisis gave us €40-€50 billion of debt, public sector wage costs, very high welfare rates and massive increases in health spending (with no discernible improvement in outcomes) gave us the other €150-€160 billion. Yes, the crash was beyond our control but the impact of the crash was largely our own fault.

Public sector spending was too high, but not by the amount you identify. If you are assuming that all national debt is wasteful then you are saying we should not have a public sector at all. Sometimes it pays to borrow and invest.
I note that you talk of the crisis lasting longer than it should have, as if it is over. The consequences are still reverberating noticeably in the dysfunctional housing sector and corrupt banking sector.

Public sector spending was too high, but not by the amount you identify. If you are assuming that all national debt is wasteful then you are saying we should not have a public sector at all. Sometimes it pays to borrow and invest.

Borrowing to pay for specific once off capital projects is one thing... borrowing to pay for day to day expenses or salaries is not investment. It's creating an unsustainable burden.
It may be an essential component of government expenditure, but I don't see why a national debt is an essential component of a public sector?

Borrowing to pay for specific once off capital projects is one thing... borrowing to pay for day to day expenses or salaries is not investment. It's creating an unsustainable burden.

Im not disagreeing. Merely pointing out that element public sector wage excess is a small component compared to overall national debt.

Another myth. A 1% increase in national debt from 43,599 €m (1997) to 44,056 €m (2004) isn't a reduction of the national debt . While the debt to GDP ratio decreased under Mr McCreevy's stewardship, this was due to the increase of Ireland's GDP from 73,092 €m (1997) to 156,143 € m (2004), i.e. a 114% increase, not a decrease in national debt itself.
Seriously? National debt is always looked at in relation to GDP. If GDP increases by over 100% and the national debt increases by 1% that is a reduction of 50% in the debt to GDP ratio (the measurement that really matters).

If you are assuming that all national debt is wasteful then you are saying we should not have a public sector at all.
That's a serious assumption and bit of a leap!
Sometimes it pays to borrow and invest.
Sometimes it does. Committing to long term expenditure which is funded by capital tax windfalls and/or borrowing is never a good idea. During the latter stages of the boom Public Sector wages increased by 50% (tens of billions). That's hardly a minor factor.

Im not disputing that public sector expenditure was too high, merely pointing out that in the latter stages of the boom the deficits were in the region of €1-2bn. It is easy to point to this in hindsight and say it is responsible for €150bn deficit, which is simply not true.
When the crash came we were then exposed to a €20bn expenditure deficit and subsequent bailout. But it would have made no economic sense to run €20bn surpluses (i.e no increases in public spending via wages, recruitment, welfare rates, welfare programs etc...) in anticipation of a collapse in the construction industry.
The national debt was circa 30% of GDP, budget deficits were running at €1-2bn. On the face of it, wholly manageable in the short-term. In reality of course, everyone knew that the construction industry was unsustainable, but unfortunately those who held the levers of power in banking and government really fell for the "this time it's different" mantra.
Had the budgets been kept in surplus by €1-2bn in latter stages, for sure the impact of the amount of the bailout wouldn't have been as large, but it is debatable by how much. Certainly figures of €150bn are way off the mark.

It has always been like that.

A cousin of mine won a sporting event many years ago. There was a quarter page article in one of the national papers the following day. He was
quoted extensively about how delighted he was, how all the hard training was worth it, how grateful he was to his coach, family, supporters etc.

All completely made up by the reporter, who never spoke to him. The quotes were all just platitudes, nothing controversial, journalist just couldn't be bothered to speak to his supposed interviewee.

the press largely trades in stereotypes, occasionally some real news emerges to change direction and off the media goes with the new stereotype. The prime example in recent years has been the treatment of the clergy. When I was young, they could do no wrong, nowadays they can do no right.

It is important to point out that there are some real journalists who report real news even when it does not conform to the expected view. Kitty Holland is my current favourite. There are even some opinion piece writers who have something original to say.

You were going well until you mentioned Ms Holland, who wrote an entire book on the death of Savita Halappanavar without a single mention of Dhara Kivlehan - who two years previously had died of the same condition and in the same circumstances as Savita, nine days after giving birth to her son at Sligo Regional Hospital - because to do so would have ruined Holland's use of Savita's tragedy to campaign for abortion.

In relation to debt to GDP ratios, take note that Irish GDP figures are grotesquely inflated by multinational transfer pricing. When public spending and debt figures are expressed by reference to more accurate measurements of economic output, they're very scary indeed.

Another myth. A 1% increase in national debt from 43,599 €m (1997) to 44,056 €m (2004) isn't a reduction of the national debt .

Hi PMU,

The point was made that the national debt was reduced in real (and percentage) terms. A 1% nominal increase over this period is well below the rate of general inflation, so in real terms, I believe the debt was reduced.

During the latter stages of the boom Public Sector wages increased by 50% (tens of billions). That's hardly a minor factor.

And don't forget all those juicy, tax-free lump sums that so many in the PS got for early retirement, never mind the looming pension bill coming down the tracks...

You were going well until you mentioned Ms Holland, who wrote an entire book on the death of Savita Halappanavar without a single mention of Dhara Kivlehan - who two years previously had died of the same condition and in the same circumstances as Savita, nine days after giving birth to her son at Sligo Regional Hospital - because to do so would have ruined Holland's use of Savita's tragedy to campaign for abortion.

same journalist is also instantly silent whenever a member of a particular minority group commit crime , whenever they are the perceived victim of a social injustice , she has it all over her twitter page or column

the female vincent browne

I agree that Kitty Holland and indeed the IT generally are campaigning for the introduction of abortion. The fact that the difference between disinterested journalism and campaigning is disappearing is very unwelcome in my opinion.

However campaigners are allowed to use facts to bolster their case. Kitty Holland's work in the Savita Halappanavar was certainly not lazy. She brought an important case to the public attention. A case which has implications far beyond the abortion debate. Thats good journalism and can be recognised as such whatever your views on abortion.

However campaigners are allowed to use facts to bolster their case. Kitty Holland's work in the Savita Halappanavar was certainly not lazy. She brought an important case to the public attention. A case which has implications far beyond the abortion debate. Thats good journalism and can be recognised as such whatever your views on abortion.

Her exclusion of the Dhara Kivlehan story from her book on Savita reflects either monumental laziness or (more likely) deliberate selectivity in the facts presented. Its effect was to hide the implications beyond the abortion debate. Either way, it's hard to paint that as good journalism.

Last edited:
How is it possible to spend money you don't have without any significant change in the national debt?
As I said, Mr McCreevey didn't have it. He just created a massive deficit, i.e. an accumulated budget deficit of 13,178 €m during his ministry.

The national debt is a balance sheet figure; the budget deficit is an income statement figure. The Minister for Finance finances the budget deficit through borrowing, i.e. through foreign liabilities. In Ireland by 2009 our net external position, i.e. foreign liabilities minus foreign assets, had deteriorated to such an extent that nobody would lend to us, so we had a credit crunch and subsequently an IMF bailout.

If he was spending money like it was going out of fashion, why was McCreevy packed off to Europe?

It is rather insular to describe an appointment as a European Commissioner as being 'packed off' to Europe.

Hi PMU, The point was made that the national debt was reduced in real (and percentage) terms. A 1% nominal increase over this period is well below the rate of general inflation, so in real terms, I believe the debt was reduced.

That's what a text book tells you, but in real life, money is money. It's an illusion to believe you can inflate debt away. Ireland had accumulated high foreign liabilities to finance its deficit. By 2009 liquidity dried up, nobody would lend to us to finance day to day spending (i.e. spending to finance a housing boom and not tradable sectors), and we needed an IMF bailout. That is why inter alia, the EU introduced the Stability & Growth Pact, to eliminate excessive deficits in the eurozone area.

When the crash came we were then exposed to a €20bn expenditure deficit and subsequent bailout. But it would have made no economic sense to run €20bn surpluses (i.e no increases in public spending via wages, recruitment, welfare rates, welfare programs etc...) in anticipation of a collapse in the construction industry.
We should have been running a €10 billion surplus in order to cool the economy. We should measure our expenditure relative to GNI, not GDP and we certainly should not use windfall taxes from a capital boom to fund long term current expenditure commitments. If we did that then in the 5 years running up to the crash we should have had an extra €30 to €50 billion in our reserves and the borrowing requirement after the boom whould not have been so large. If we ran our economy before the crash in the way the Troika forced us to run it post-bailout our debt would be significantly lower. My guess is 30-50% lower but I'd love to see a study on it.

As I said, Mr McCreevey didn't have it. He just created a massive deficit, i.e. an accumulated budget deficit of 13,178 €m during his ministry.
The national debt is a balance sheet figure; the budget deficit is an income statement figure. The Minister for Finance finances the budget deficit through borrowing, i.e. through foreign liabilities.

It still doesn't add up to me - where are you getting your figures from?
If he financed this significant deficit spending through borrowing, why didn't the national debt in real money increase significantly during his term in office?

This information shows little or no budget deficits from 1997 to 2004:
https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-budget
http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1028925.shtml

He also set up the national pension reserve fund, which invested 1% of GDP each year with the intention to fund future pension requirements. Does that seem like the behaviour of someone spending money like it was going out of fashion?

That's what a text book tells you, but in real life, money is money.
There is a big difference between nominal and real debt / inflation. My parents bought their house with a mortgage for about 5k back in the day. Their last mortgage repayment was something like 50 quid a month. Back when they took out the mortgage this 50 quid a month was a fair bit of money. By the time the last repayment was made it was nothing.

Likewise with the national debt. If we could even stop borrowing and just maintain our current level of debt, in 20 years or so it wouldn't be problem.

It still doesn't add up to me - where are you getting your figures from?
From here https://countryeconomy.com/deficit/ireland. You can also get them on Eurostat.
If he financed this significant deficit spending through borrowing, why didn't the national debt in real money increase significantly during his term in office?
You can look at the budget deficit as an overdraft on your chequebook and the national debt as accumulated interest you owe on your overdraft. If interest rates fall, you can pay off accumulated interest, i.e. your personal national debt is reduced, and at the same time you could convince your bank manager to increase the level of your overdraft, i.e. to increase your personal budget deficit.
They do. The web site you referenced https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-budget correctly tells you that: “Ireland recorded a Government Budget deficit equal to 0.70 percent of the country's Gross Domestic Product in 2016. Government Budget in Ireland averaged -3.20 percent of GDP from 1995 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 4.90 percent of GDP in 2000 and a record low of -32.10 percent of GDP in 2010.”

There is a big difference between nominal and real debt / inflation. My parents bought their house with a mortgage for about 5k back in the day. Their last mortgage repayment was something like 50 quid a month. Back when they took out the mortgage this 50 quid a month was a fair bit of money. By the time the last repayment was made it was nothing. Likewise with the national debt. If we could even stop borrowing and just maintain our current level of debt, in 20 years or so it wouldn't be problem.
If this were correct why is there an EU Stability & Growth Pact? If you can just inflate debt away why doesn't everybody do it? The purpose of the SGP is to reduce the ability of eurozone members to introduce inflationary pressures in their economies and to require 'close to balanced' budgets. That's one of its benefits. No future Minister of Finance will be able to create massive budget deficits as Mr McCreevey and Mr Cowen did. (Unless we leave the Eurozone.)

Last edited:
It's an illusion to believe you can inflate debt away.

This was not true in the 1970s or 1980s but it is certainly true today and likely to be true for the medium term future. Many politicians and even some AAM posters have not grasped the change yet,

There is a big difference between nominal and real debt / inflation. My parents bought their house with a mortgage for about 5k back in the day. Their last mortgage repayment was something like 50 quid a month. Back when they took out the mortgage this 50 quid a month was a fair bit of money. By the time the last repayment was made it was nothing.

Likewise with the national debt. If we could even stop borrowing and just maintain our current level of debt, in 20 years or so it wouldn't be problem.

If this were correct why is there an EU Stability & Growth Pact? If you can just inflate debt away why doesn't everybody do it?
I believe the EU has an inflation target of 2% and with QE I expect this will come about eventually.

Whilst the nominal debt increased, in real terms it decreased. Do you agree?

Back