MBNA government tax

I

Irritated

closed my MBNA account around October last year, never heard from them until a few months ago when they sent a letter to my mam and dad's (my old address) saying I owed 40 euro...looked into it a bit more and realised it was the government levy..i called the guys at MBNA to find out and the guy on the phone told me that the account wasn't closed after i had requested in October. He said that he would do so straight away.

Fair is fair, I thought, I have to pay the tax....but I genuinely forgot and seeing as though the letters have been going to my mam and dad's...I wasn't alerted to my oversight...
Went to my mam and dad's yesterday and found a statement from them for 71.50!!!
They want late fees and interest...come on...!!!
I'm going to pay the 40 euro straight away, but I'm not paying an extra 31.50!!!

i don't mind paying what I owe, but when they don't even have the courtesy to call u and let you know....UUUURRGGHHH it just makes me angry...

MBNA

First I will state that I do not work with MBNA, I have an MBNA credit card and their service is generally brillant. Their staff are excellent.
If something goes astray or one has a rare request then their service levels falls, I would ask to speak to a manager this might help resolve the dispute. Also consinder sending a registered letter to their Irish manager.

Re: MBNA

I also have an MBNA card and I find them very goo to deal with. However, I have often heard it said that they are particularly unsympathetic when they perceive an account to be in arrears! Do you have a copy of the letter that you sent to close the account? :\

MBNA

Even if they had closed your account in Oct when you asked them, you'd still have to pay the €40 stamp duty as it's charged if you have a cc open at any time from 1st April - 31st March of following year.

Why not offer to pay them the €40 since as you point owe you do have to pay the tax - it's their mistake that's costing you interest & penalty payments.

If they won't agree, go to the Ombudsman from Credit Institutions.........

MBNA

First of all, how did you close the account, by phone, letter, have you a copy of the letter ? Did anyone confirm closure. I would suspect that even if you went to close the account, the "final" bill would be for the government tax to which this amount has been added interest. Therefore they did get the letter or the government tax would not have been put on the bill ! Did you notify them of your new address ? Or was your parents address the address to which they always sent your statements.

However and whatever, your first port of call is the call centre explaining your situation and stating that you were not aware of the government tax and as you did not get their letter could the €40 be a full and final settlement as I would wonder if they have paid this tax to the government as the account is not yet closed I think you will find that they will waive or start to go up the line. Do not go bolshie by not paying the interest or when you go to get another card in a number of years you may have a problem.

MBNA

Sorry just read again, if the debt relates to last October, you will actually owe another €40 euro because we have passed another "tax" year in April !

MBNA

I had a very similar problem with MBNA last year. Same thing with the €40 and change of address after closing account.
However with charges and penalties, I owed them €180. They passed on my debt to an agency who began to call me regularly day and night. They began the call( without identifying themselves) by requesting my date of birth and mothers maiden name. Of course I refused to provide this without ascertaining who was calling. They would again refuse to state who they were, merely saying it regarded ' an urgent business matter'.
This went on for about 6 weeks in stalemate.

Then I received a call from an MBNA manager who at that time told me it was the agency they use. I explained my story, he apologised and we agreed that I repay just the €40 outstanding tax. The MBNA staff I have dealt with are generally very helpful and polite. I regard them as one of the best customer service teams around.

hi again
and thank you for everyone who replied....
so, let me tell u what happened..

I called MBNA and told them that i didn't think it was very fair to charge me interest on top of the 40euro tax.
I said that I have no problem paying the tax, as that is what I owe...
Seeing as though, back in October, I wasn't told that I would have to pay the tax, it was a bit much charging me interest+late fees.

Anyway, the lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful, she explained that due to the fact the account wasn't closed, i owe 40 euro government tax for this year!!!!
So, I just went through everything with her...and then she put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and told me that they would not charge me any interest or late fees and all I have to pay is the 40euro tax for the year 2003/4.....so then I hot-footed it around to the post office and paid the 40 quid!!!!

I have to say, i thought i was going to have a fight on my hands, but the lady I dealt with was very very nice and even gave me her name and told me to ask for her if I experienced any further problems.....

A happy ending me thinks ;)

credit card tax

Happy ending at least. I also have an MBNA card and to be honest have absolutely no gripe with them. Lost my card once and they were tip top about replacing it etc etc. very easy to deal with. The REAL problem here is not MBNA ( or indeed any othe credit card provider) its that scandalous €40 tax on using a modern cashless method of paying for goods and services. What's also clear is that no one appears to know exactly when the €40 is due. ie the government tax year is Jan-Dec and the credit cards appear to be running on the old tax year. The government is always telling us to 'shop around' for the best prices ie this week it was petrol and last week it was drink and next week it will probably be school uniforms/books etc. Yet here we are unable to shop around for a new/different credit card provider unless we for out an additional €40 in tax. I have an MBNA card thorugh one direct but want to change to MBNA through Pigsback but am unwilling to fork out an additional €40 just for the change. If Charlie McCreevy had been around when Noah was building the Ark he would have probably have charged rain tax.

Back