Maternity leave with no intention of returning to work

ClubMan

Originally posted by purple in :

purple
Frequent poster
(1/10/04 3:47 pm)

Re: .

I don't know the ins and outs of this case but I find the practice of women going on maternity leave and getting their wages topped up by their employer who have no intension of going back to work disgraceful. It is a form of theft.

topping up???!

They don't get a top up where I work!!

Mat Benefit

Some companies will continue to pay full salary, some will pay full salary less maternity benefit, and some give nothing. I have to say, it is such an expensive time that not having salary topped up can really hurt.
I agree with purple though - I also think it is dishonourable where people take full salary when they have no intention of returning to work. It is a "Gentlemans Agreement" as such made between the employee and employee - not legally binding - and people do take advantage. Bigger corporations do not seem to mind but it can hurt small companies.

Maternity rights

Screw the capitalists for every penny you can squeeze out of them. The proletariat in this country get little enough as it is.

The proletariat could be sipping champagne for breakfast if they could only wise up and see the bigger picture.

Re: ..

Screw the capitalists for every penny you can squeeze out of them. The proletariat in this country get little enough as it is.
I assume that's a troll but what the hell; so you think every person who runs a small shop or other business, or even a big shop or other business is a capitalist and should be "screwed"?
If you are not an idiot please try not to sound like one.

The proletariat could be sipping champagne for breakfast if they could only wise up and see the bigger picture.
What the hell does that mean!?! Let me in on the secret, I'd love to be drinking champagne for breakfast.

The sort of people who steal from their employer in this way are the same sort of people who see nothing wrong with stealing from insurance companies or the government but like to give out about corrupt "fat cats" etc.
They are no better than Liam Lawlor, Ray Bourke or CJH. They just don't have the brains or balls to steal on the same scale.

Meaning

-------------------------------------------
What the hell does that mean!?! Let me in on the secret, I'd love to be drinking champagne for breakfast
---------------------------------------------

It means that you are an alcoholic

A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The proletariat could be sipping champagne for breakfast if they could only wise up and see the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the hell does that mean!?! "

I think it means that if they applied the same energy to their livelihood as they did to screwing their employers the potential for reward would be greater. Just a guess though.

re

What about if you are not receiving any top up from your employer, you're only getting maternity benefit and you do not want to return to work?
If you hand in your notice a month or so before the end of your maternity leave, is there any legal implications? I know you wouldn't have to pay anything back to your employer as they are not paying you during maternity leave, but would you have to pay anything back to the government?
Also, if you do not go back to work, can you claim any benefit after maternity runs out - ie can you claim your stamps?

thanks.

re

> Also, if you do not go back to work, can you claim any benefit after maternity runs out - ie can you claim your stamps?

See the original topic that spawned this one:

If you claim unemployment benefit, you a making a declaration that you are available for, and actively seeking, work.

Chucking in a job to mind your kids full time is not consistent with this declaration so you would, in effect, be defrauding the State.

re

This is a query for someone else, not for me, but here goes:

The girl in question is not chucking in a job to mind her kids full time. But she would really rather not have to go back to the same employer. The employer was not very impressed when told the girl was pregnant in the first place, and one of the other girls working there had warned her that 'he (the boss) hates pregnant women, he'll go mad when you tell him'. Anyway, thats another story.

The girl is hoping to look for another job once maternity leave ends, but wants to know if she can claim UB until she starts another employment?

Is she under any legal obligation to return to her current employer or not?

thanks.

re

> The girl is hoping to look for another job once maternity leave ends, but wants to know if she can claim UB until she starts another employment?

Anybody who is unemployed but actively seeking and available for work and has the requisite PRSI payments can claim Unemployment Benefit. Anybody in the same situation but not covered by PRSI can apply for means tested Unemployment Assistance. Anybody who is not actively seeking and available for work is not entitled to either.

www.welfare.ie/schemes/unemp/index.html

> Is she under any legal obligation to return to her current employer or not?

I don't understand. In what respect? Nobody can be forced to work for an employer if they don't want to. However if she resigns voluntarily then any entitlement to UB/UA may be delayed.

re

"However if she resigns voluntarily then any entitlement to UB/UA may be delayed"

yes, I guess that is really the info I was looking for. The employer is not going to sack her or let her go, so she will have to hand in her notice. So the UB will be delayed, do you know by how many weeks? What can she do to cover herself for a PRSI contribution during those delayed weeks?

Many thanks for your answer.

re

No offence but if you had read the links that I posted above you would have seen that leaving a job voluntarilty can disqualify one from UA/UB for up to nine weeks....

You may be disqualified from receiving Unemployment Benefit for nine weeks if you:

* left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause

You may be disqualified from receiving Unemployment Assistance for nine weeks if you:

* left work voluntarily and without just cause

It used to be a period of UP TO six weeks but this may have been reduced in the last few years.

Note also that this period begins from the date a claim is made - so don't assume that because you wouldn't be entitled to anything, there's no hurry in signing on.

Also, signing on for the period of non-payment will cover her for the PRSI contribution in much the same way as any period that is payable.

re

thanks for that info and those links. I couldn't get them to follow through for some reason, not sure why. I thought it was around 6 weeks of a delay too, but good to know that it can be up to 9 weeks.
Thanks again,
BB

"I thought it was around 6 weeks of a delay too, but good to know that it can be up to 9 weeks."

Purely out of curiousity, why would it be good? There's no payment for these weeks.

Back