Maternity Leave-Told employer need more time .

Mixednuts

Hi,
Can anyone shed some light...I told my employer that i will not be returning to work in Jan1 as planned after maternity leave, but will be looking to extend til March (my maternity benifit ends end of DEC).
Employer was understanding but asked me to put dates etc of return into writhing.
I have no problem in doing this but was planning to go onto sick leave for the 2 months jan feb as im not up to work.... will my indication in writhing of return to work impact on me getting sick leave from social welfare ?

p.s my employer has never contributed to my maternity leave.

i look forward to your reply

I told my employer that i will not be returning to work in Jan1 as planned after maternity leave, but will be looking to extend til March (my maternity benifit ends end of DEC).
Extend it beyond your of 22 weeks or something else?
Employer was understanding but asked me to put dates etc of return into writhing.
Fair enough presumably?
I have no problem in doing this but was planning to go onto sick leave for the 2 months jan feb as im not up to work....
You're not "up to" work or you are genuinely not available for work due to illness (as determined by your GP presumably - and closer to the actual date one would assume)?

just because employer did not contribute to your income whilst out on maternity, does not mean that you can phone up sick for a few months. Thhink of your colleagues and the workplace. If everyone did this, no one would have a job and there would be no one working to pay taxes to pay for unemployment benfits.

if you do nto want to return, then resign. if you are ill, get doctors certification and go on disibility benefit.

If you are not up to work because of depression (PNT) then seek immediate help from public health nurse or GP before your get worse.

Back