Maternity Benefit Self Employed

Key

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to the following:

Due to have a baby in March 2007.

For the whole year of 2005 I was employed as a PAYE worker.

In May of that year I set up a limited company as a proprietory director so was classed as self-employed for part of that year also. I had no income for that time from the company.

At the end of May 2006 I left PAYE employment.

Income from the company is not set and there is a small directors fee to be declared on P35 for 2006 relating to accounts ended 31 May 2006.

I have no idea what my income will be between now and March. The company is mainly run by my husband and I have a small role as book-keeper/administrator/general dogsbody!

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to Maternity Benefit based on the above? I cannot access oasis.ie for some reason.

Thanks in advance

Yes thanks. I seem to qualify based on that but am worried about the instability of earnings at the moment and the fact that some months I might not have any!

Will you really satisfy the first condition?
be in insurable employment that is covered by the Maternity Protection Act, 1994 immediately before the first day of maternity leave.
If you are self employed then are you sure that this applies?

From memory, does your claim relate to the prsi paid in the second year before you claim, ie if you claim in 2007, does prsi paid in 2005 count?

If I am paying PRSI class S is that not classed as insurable employment? Im a bit confused!

Joe1234, the claim for 2007 is based on earnings in 2005 of which I worked 52 weeks A1 class.

Sorry - I thought that Class S did not cover MB but I see now that it does!
PRSI Class S

People within CLASS S:
Self-employed people such as farmers, certain company directors, people in business on their own account and people with income from investments, rents and maintenance.
CLASS S BENEFITS
  • Widow's or Widower's (Contributory) Pension
  • Orphan's (Contributory) Allowance
  • Old Age (Contributory) Pension
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Adoptive Benefit
  • Bereavement Grant

Back