Maternity benefit & pension levy

E

Emomc

I have recently commenced maternity leave. I am entitled to the full rate of €280 per week from DSW. As I am with the public service I am still on full pay (my employer pays me in full and then deducts Maternity Benefit amount). I got my first pay slip last week while on Maternity benefit and what my employer has done has left my gross salary as it was but then put in a seperate deduction for my fortnightly Maternity Benefit. While this meant I paid less PAYE my pension levy (and income levy) has remained the same although my salary has in fact been reduced.
Is this correct or should I be allowed some reflief on the Maternity Benefit deduction?

Is this correct or should I be allowed some reflief on the Maternity Benefit deduction?

This is incorrect. You should be paying less PRD, PRSI/Health Levy, Income Levy and PAYE (Tax). Not just less PAYE. The net result is that you will have more take home pay while on Maternity leave.

Thanks for that, I supspected as much and am going to check this out with my payroll Dept tomorrow

Back